Weekly WIP: Bolt Action Anti-Tank Gun
For the longest time I’ve wanted to be part of an escalation league. This is a miniature wargames league where over time the size of the army you need to bring slowly increases. Having spent too little time painting or too much time dabbling in various games having an organized game which uses a smaller army size sounds like the perfect fit for me.
Turns out I’m looking for a “small army league” as the escalation part is killing me. Now that I’ve joined a Bolt Action escalation league I’ve found that I’m struggling to keep up. We meet every two weeks and each meeting requires a larger force within a set range. I thought I was fielding the max size but I wasn’t which means I have to grow even more for next meeting.
It wouldn’t be as bad if Bolt Action was better stocked in my town. Ordering online really cuts into my painting time and I’m still trying to complete my Guild Ball project on schedule. Yes, I realize I’m also behind schedule on an update to that project too. The past week I was lucky in that a local player had a spare QF 6pdr lying around.
Painting the anti-tank gun was a nice break from both Batman and Guild Ball. I was able to completely let go of my perfectionist tendencies and paint the figures quickly. My loyalty lies with men over machines so I don’t get much practice painting equipment like the anti-tank gun so it was also an interesting change.
I started by mounting the men on a craft stick using hot glue, then attaching that to my painting grips. This let me paint all of them at the same time without constantly picking up and putting down small miniatures on a cluttered workspace.
Since it has been so long since I painted my last WWII figures I had to break out my previous painting log to see what colours I had used. I write down almost every colour I use in a log so I can recreate colour schemes without too much hassle. At first I would carefully record mixing ratios and even paint swatches but now I don’t bother. WWII Canadians are fun since it’s hard to get a consensus on uniform colour and no-one makes a paint that works for their uniform out of the bottle. I’ve experimented with a number of mixes and have expanded the saying to “horseshoes, handgrenades and Canadian Battledress Green”.
As usual I flatted the miniature with the base colours and then applied a shadow, highlight and them tied the two together with a mid-colour. If I were to do it again I think I would flat the miniatures with the shadow colour to save a step but even so I finished all three in a couple of evenings.
Once the crew was painted I glued them to the base and applied modeling paste to blend them into the ground. Once the putty had dried slightly I used a damp, stiff brush to stipple the surface and give it texture. Once I had painted and added flock I glued the AT-Gun in place and varnished the whole thing.
It was nice to get it finished in time for my game on Sunday. I managed with win, although a miscount at the end made us think we had initially tied. Now I have the grow my army even more and I’m not sure I want to go through this every week.
I did manage to paint a little of my Guild Ball miniatures. I had the idea to paint two figures at once for Guild Ball going forward and with the time I spent painting the anti-tank gun it has gone from a chance to finish early to a chance to actually finish on time.