Heavy Gear: Planning the South Faction
I wrote this post before I received the kickstarter and realized how poor the models were. At first I was so disappointed I was tempted to drop the project but I don’t like buying miniatures and leaving them unpainted so I am going to continue on. I will not be putting the same level of effort as I originally intended, however, making my comment about building sub-assemblies ironic while showing pictures of fully assembled miniatures.
Welcome to the first real post of my Heavy Gear Kickstarter project. As I mentioned in the introduction I’ve decided to paint the Southern faction first. I already have a lot of Northern miniatures painted from earlier editions of the game and hope by starting with the South I’ll quickly have a painted “demo” set to start showing off the game.
What’s in the Kickstarter
Here are the Southern sprues included in the kickstarter.
- 4x Jager
- 4x Black Mamba
- 2x Iguana
- 2x Spitting Cobra
- 1x King Cobra
- 3 Drones on the Northern Ferret sprue.
Each sprue can then make one variant available for that Gear. For example, the Jager spue (with some parts of the Black Mamba sprue) can build:
- Command Jager or a command version of the following.
- Jager – Light Autocannon.
- Striking Jager – Light Bazooka, Light Rocket Pod.
- Jager Gunner – Medium Autocannon from Black Mamba sprue, Light Rocket Pod.
- Brawler Jager – Light Autocannon with Light Grenade Launcher, Light Rocket Pod.
- Blitz Jager – Light Autocannon, Light Anti-Tank Missile.
- Flamm Jager – Medium Flammer, Light Anti-Personnel Rockets from Black Mamba sprue.
Since I don’t have a strong knowledge of what makes up a good force in Heavy Gear I’m going to try to create a balanced selection of models which will give me the option to deal with infantry, heavy armour and gears.
- Command Jager Gunner
- MAC from Black Mamba Sprue
- Command Head
- Light Rocket Pod
- Striking Jaguar
- Flamm Jager
- LAPR from Black Mamba Sprue
- Razorfang Black Mamba
- Command Head
- Command Sat uplink
- Blitz Black Mamba
- Strike Black Mamba
- Blazing Black Mamba
- Black Box Iguana
- LAC from Jager sprue
- ECM/ECCM Parts
- Razor Fang Spitting Cobra
- Striking Cobra
- King Cobra
I’m hoping that as I build these models I can keep them in sub-assemblies to make painting easier. Next I have to figure out my paint scheme.