D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Talk about upcoming games, campaigns, houserules, new releases, etc.

Re: D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby Duncan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:20 am

Thanks, that is very helpful

Duncan

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm

It is 06 June 1944, at dawn thousands of gliders and paratroopers are on the ground.

Operation Tonga has started.

At 0630 the allies start their beach invasion.

This is the map for Turn 1 Step 1

Caen Game turn 1 -  Step 1.jpg
Caen Game turn 1 - Step 1.jpg (253.85 KiB) Viewed 1071 times

The results of the para battle and beach battle will determine if any Allies land or if the para unit survives. Good luck and see you on 2 Feb.
SergeC

Postby SergeC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Tentative match-ups for 2 Feb will be the following.
___________________________ German-----Allied
Gold Beach - Arromanches (A2)--- Brian------ Serge
Juno Beach - Creully (A3)---------- Tod-------- Mike
Sword Beach - Quistreham (A5)--- Stephan --Duncan A
Omaha Beach ---------------------- Patrick --- Francis

Paradrop 1 Breville ---------------- Jeff ------- Duncan M
Paradrop 2 Breville 2 ------------- Vincent ----John Bell

In case of absence ---------------- Bernhard

It should be noted that Omaha Beach defence can use the Omaha list in Atlantik wall. The Allied player is playing US forces. On Juno beach the allied player is playing US forces but must use Overloard. Again strongly suggest using easyarmy for you lists.

All lists are from Overloard for Allies and Atlantik Wall for German players. If there are more then three beach attacks or one para drop then I will be taking an average score. So a 6-1 and 4-3 outcome will become a 5-2 victory.

I will start set-up at 1030. It would be nice if all Armies are ready to go by 1100. The beach landings are 12 turns and take 3 to 4 hours easy to play.

See you on Sunday
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:21 pm

The outcome of D-Day

Gold beach Allied Stunning victory. This resulted in a follow-on attack. The Allied General attacked Bayeux (A-1). Because the allies had Bayeux they automatically gain B-1 and make an attack on Villers Bocage with 8th Armoured Brigade. The Germans will defend with SS 101. These are the only two Firestorm troops added to the battle. (i.e Allied 6-1 victory)

Juno Beach. Minor Defender's Victory. Beach Secure. Land the appropriate infantry division but supporting Tank Bde is destroyed, place it with the reinforcements for turn 2. Your losses have left you disorganised and you may not attack further from this beach this turn. (i.e. Axis 4-3 victory)

Sword Beach. (Both games had same outcome) Minor Defender's Victory. Beach Secure. Land the appropriate infantry division but supporting Tank Bde is destroyed, place it with the reinforcements for turn 2. Your losses have left you disorganised and you may not attack further from this beach this turn. (i.e. Axis 4-3 victory)

Para drop. (Both games had same outcome) Success, area captured and Airborne Firestorm Troop in place. (i.e allied 5-2 victory)
Last edited by SergeC on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:25 pm

This is the map for the Second Turn.
Caen Game turn 2.jpg
Caen Game turn 2.jpg (252.66 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Last edited by SergeC on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SergeC

Postby SergeC » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:39 pm

As you will notice there are four attacks. I will determine the match-ups as we get closer to game day.

The Allied General rolled for 3 attacks (nice going Mike), but to make up for this he actually won the initiatives for all attacks. In turn 2 if the allies have area A-1 they make an extra attack on area D-1.

All firestorm troops can be found on page 20 to 24 in the following PDF.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Do ... m-Caen.pdf

The base Armies are 1000 points plus Firestorm troops.

Attack #1, Allied attack, Bocage terrain.
B-1 to D-1
Allies get 8th armoured bde, Axis get 101 Schwere SS panzerabteilung (No extra firestorm troops are allowed in this battle)

Attack #2, Allied attack, Plains terrain.
A-3 to A-4
Allies get 3 Can Div and 51 Div, Axis get 12 SS pnaserdivision hitlerjugend and one German defence firestorm troop. You need roll on the table found on page 25. (Variable infantry table)

Attack #3, Allied attack, Bocage Terrain.
A-5 to B-4
Allies get Air support and 5 AGRA. Axis get 21 Panzerdivision and one German defence firestorm troop. You need roll on the table found on page 25. (Variable infantry table)

Attack #4, Allied attack, Plain Terrain.
Allies get 6 Para and 4 AGRA. Axis get III Flak Corps and one German defence firestorm troop. You need roll on the table found on page 25. (Variable infantry table)

The description of the terrain is on page 4 of the PDF file.

The Germans are not allowed air support. The Allies are only allowed air support in attack 3, but all Arty groups (i.e. attack 3 and 4) get a spotter plan.

The missions will be based on what you roll as per a normal FOW game. (page 256 of the FOW rule book)

For the remember of the campaign you must use Atlantik wall for the Axis and Overloard for the allies. The is no restriction on the list that you can use. The only limit is that the base force must be 1000 points and no air support for both sides. Allies can you air support only if they have the equivalent firestorm troop.

Serge
Last edited by SergeC on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SergeC

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:59 pm

The campaign is off to an interesting start!
WuZhuiQiu

Postby Mike_a » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 am

Here's a few pictures I snapped of the various games around lunch time I think:

I believe I got 1 picture of every game, I found it to be quite interesting so I didn't remember to take more then 1 picture of the game I played.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:14 pm

I had a lot of fun and all the tables looked really good.
Duncan

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 pm

These are the tentative match ups for Day 2. (That is if everyone shows up) It should be noted that this will probably be the only time we have two players per side for some battles as most remaining days include up to eight battles.

The double rules are simple. It is the same table size except each player gets to make a list of 1000 points. 200 points can be given to their partner. The game ends if one player fails company moral roll or as usual with the objective taken as per mission. One side takes their turn and the other side then takes its turn. You only get one set of Firestorm troops even if you are two players.

The missions will be rolled at set up. Refer to the rule book page 256. The lists are from Atlantik Wall or Overloard. There is no air support allowed except if you have air support through firestorm troops.

It would be idea if we could get one more German player as battle # 3 has two vs one.

Battle #1 (D-1)
Terrain provided by Serge. Battle will be played in Bocage
Jeff for Axis vs Serge for Allied
Axis get 101 Schwere SS panzerabteilung which is one Tiger 1E rated as Fearless Veteran
Allied get 8th Armd Bde which is 2 Sherman and one Firefly rated as Confident Trained.
No other firestorm troops allowed. No Air support.

Battle #2, (A-4)
Terrain provided by Mike, Battle will be played in Plains
Stephan and Stan for Axis, Mike and Francis for Allied
Axis get 12 SS panzerdivision hitlerjugend which are three Panzer IVs rated as Fearless Veteran and one HMG nest and 2 Minefields for the German defence firestorm troop.
Allies get 3 Can Div and 51 Div which is a rifle/MG platoon with six rifle/MG teams, one PIAT team and light Mortar team. Note that all rifle teams have sticky bombs. The 3 Can Div is a confident trained platoon and use Canadian special rules. The 51 Div Platoon is Reluctant Veteran and are British but have the special rule Cautious not Stupid.

Battle #3, (B-4)
Terrain provided by Brian, Battle will be played in Bocage
Brian for Axis and Duncan (Good) and John for the Allies. Brian you get to make two lists of 1000 points.
Axis get 21 Beute Stug which are three 7.5 cm (Sf) 39H rated as confident veteran and 2 X snipers for the German defence firestorm troop.
Allies get 5 AGRA which are four medium guns BL 5.5 and an Auster AOP rated as Confident Trained and Priority Air Support Typhoon Aircraft.

Battle #4, (C-6)
Terrain provided by Duncan (Good), Battle will be played in Plain
Vince for Axis and Duncan (Bad) for Allied
Axis get III Flak Corps which is four 8.8 cm Flak36 guns with extra crew rated as reluctant trained and a grenadier Mortar Platoon with 1 command SMG, two observer rile teams and four 8 cm GW34 mortar teams Rated as confident trained for the German defence firestorm troop.
Allies get 4 AGRA which are four medium guns BL 5.5 and an Auster AOP rated as Confident Trained and one Rifle platoon with a command rifle/MG, six rifle/MG teams and PIAT team. All carry gammon bombs and have section mortars. Rated as Fearless Veteran.

This is what is written for terrain in the Caen PDF:
There are three terrain types in Firestorm Caen. The battles took place at the end of the tight Bocage country with most of the area east of Caen as open farmland, dotted with small villages and gentle hills. So some areas will be Bocage and others more open plains. Then there is Caen itself which will be a heavily damaged city with mostly difficult going and a lot of cover. In addition to this then the rivers Orne and Odon run on the borders of areas. If they should be attacked across they should form part of your terrain, usually in the defenders advantage. In fact there are a number of other rivers in the area but they affected the battles to a less extent. If an area is attacked over the Orne and Odon river then a river should run through no-man's land. This river should have at least one crossing for every 40 to 60cm.

The battles being fought on Day two is bocage and plains. So no significant rivers.

I hope I have not missed anything.
Serge
SergeC

PreviousNext

Return to Flames of War