Impetus

Impetus

Postby Titivillus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 pm

HI all,

I'm a new follower of the club (not a member as yet), but I have not had a chance to get to any of the meetings yet. I'm a big fan of Napoleonics, so I may have to catch a LaSalle game at some point, but right now the Impetus rules have caught my eye. I was wondering if anyone plays these rules in the club, and if so, what period and scale? I purchased the rules and tried a few solo games, but that is no substitute for a real game!

So, does anyone play these rules?

For those who may not have seen them yet: http://www.dadiepiombo.com/impetus2.html. I purchased the full rulebook, but you can also use the Basic Impetus rules for free. They contain just about everything, save the C&C rules. Personally, I love the size of the bases; they provide a nice opportunity for dioramas and other modelling possibilities without the need for too many troops.

- Chris
Titivillus

Re: Impetus

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:50 am

Hi, Chris, and welcome to the forum! I don't yet have a copy of Impetus, but have read good things about it, so it's only a matter of time before I get a copy. I've got a backlog of unpainted 15mm and 28mm, but how does basing work for 15mm figures?

I ask since most club members have 15mm DBA, etc., armies that are based according to the WRG standard, i.e. 40mm wide by between 15mm and 40mm depth. Most foot are two to four figures per base, on bases that are 20mm or less deep, while mounted tend to be two to three figures per base and 30mm deep. 40mm deep is mostly for elephants and artillery.

If 15mm can be based in multiples of 40mm wide for Impetus, then you may find some people with whom you could try the rules out soonish.

Aha! Impetus basing for 15mm would seem to be compatible with multiples of DBA bases:

http://www.dadiepiombo.com/basi2.html

Cheers!

Peter

P.S.: Had you ordered Impetus directly from Italy?
WuZhuiQiu

Postby TodCreasey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:38 am

There are a lot of us interested in trying it - we just haven't got around to it yet.

IIRC Impetus basing 2 x 2 WRG bases so we should be fine with what we have. There are a lot of 15s in the club and a few people with 28s. I know Martin and Duncan who have large WOR collectons and Peter has a few irons in the fire.

I personally really fancy the diorama style basing so I would love to try ti out.

Tod
TodCreasey

Postby Titivillus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks for the replies!

I don't have a historical army for any system or scale yet, but I am leaning towards 6mm for Romans/Ancients (60x30 mm bases) or 15mm for Dark Ages/Medieval/ECW. I do toy with the idea of 28mm Perry minis for the crusades, though! It seems as though 15mm would be the scale most likely to see action, though, so I will consider that.

Regarding Impetus, the biggest issue of the full game is that the rulebook only contains the rules and 13 different lists. Basic Impetus has many lists, but they have limited troop types, and if you want other lists for the full game, you need one of the (currently) 3 source books. Now they aren't that expensive, and they tend to provide lists for a variety of periods (all the Republican Roman lists and those of their enemies, for instance, are in the same place) in addition to some scenarios, but it can be an extra investment. It is still better than buying a book per army, though.

And Peter - I did order it from Italy, and I admit to being nervous when I did (because of the stories regarding the Italian post). It actually arrived in 7 days, though! I was blown away, but really impressed. Dadi & Piombo (the publisher) also included one of their magazines, which had an additional Impetus list in it. I was impressed; it was a nice touch.

- Chris
Titivillus

Postby Titivillus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:02 am

I should also note that there are free fantasy rules for people wanting to use their Warhammer figures, and a set of Baroque rules for things like the ECW. I have tried the fantasy rules; the lists are a bit limited (and not entirely balanced), but there are rules for making units, so you could easily tailor them to a particular Warhammer army, provided your opponent was willing. Other than that, it worked well.
Titivillus

Postby TodCreasey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:35 am

Titivillus wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I don't have a historical army for any system or scale yet, but I am leaning towards 6mm for Romans/Ancients (60x30 mm bases) or 15mm for Dark Ages/Medieval/ECW. I do toy with the idea of 28mm Perry minis for the crusades, though! It seems as though 15mm would be the scale most likely to see action, though, so I will consider that.
- Chris

I fancy the Perry 100 years war but I expect it to be way down the road as I am rebuilding my Napoleonics right now.

Tod
TodCreasey

Postby BrianH » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:43 am

Titivillus wrote:I should also note that there are free fantasy rules for people wanting to use their Warhammer figures, and a set of Baroque rules for things like the ECW. I have tried the fantasy rules; the lists are a bit limited (and not entirely balanced), but there are rules for making units, so you could easily tailor them to a particular Warhammer army, provided your opponent was willing. Other than that, it worked well.

I would be willing to give the Impetus fantasy rules a try. I know some club members have appropriate figures in both 15mm and 28mm and we have used such figures for Hordes of the Things (DBA fantasy) in the past. It would just be a matter of finding time in the schedule and creating temporary bases or movement trays for the figures.
BrianH

Return to Historical