Waterloo Campaign 2015

Waterloo Campaign 2015

Postby nicholasswales » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Scenario: Waterloo 1815
This scenario is a framework for playing the battle over 4 sessions, representing the timing of the main phases of the battle.

Basic concept
Each division will start in one of the areas on the map, as indicated below. When an attack occurs a battle is fought. The campaign is designed on the assumption that the battles will be fought using Lasalle, though players are free to use other rules, with appropriate adaptations.

The possible lists and attachments for each battle will be determined by the campaign coordinator, based on the elements and strengths assigned to the battle. Standard attachments are noted in the tables below, but may be modified by the campaign coordinator. Standard battles will be between one normal Lasalle list plus one support. If the divisions assigned to a battle are at least 50% larger on one side than the other, the larger side can add a second support.

Turns
To give a sense of the progression of the battle, the four campaign turns represent approximately the following times of day on 18 June 1815:

Turn 1 – 10:00-13:00
Turn 2 – 13:00-16:00
Turn 3 – 16:00-19:00
Turn 4 – 19:00-22:00

Order of campaign play
1. Each side submits moves to the campaign coordinator. Each element can move one area per turn. Movement is considered to be essentially simultaneous. Possible outcomes are as follows:
• One side only moves into an unoccupied area – no battle, the area is occupied by the advancing force. Note that this includes situations where all forces initially in that area are attempting to advance into another area. So if there is a possible threat to your line of retreat, consider leaving some troops to protect it!
• One side moves into an area already occupied by the other – a battle is fought. The advancing force is considered the attacker. If the advancing side wins the battle, it occupies the area and the defender must retreat to an adjacent area occupied by his forces or unoccupied. If the defending side wins or the result is a draw, the attacker must retreat to the area from which he advanced, or if that is now occupied by the enemy, to an adjacent area occupied by his side or vacant.
• Both sides attempt to advance across a common boundary between areas - a battle is fought. Attacker is determined using the method in the Lasalle rules (p.87). The loser must vacate the area from which he advanced. If the result is a draw, both sides remain in the areas from which they tried to advance.
• Both sides attempt to advance into an unoccupied area - a battle is fought. Attacker is determined using the method in the Lasalle rules (p.87). The winner completes his move into the area; the loser returns to the area from which he attempted to advance, or to an adjacent area occupied by his forces or unoccupied.
2. All battles in the turn are fought.
3. All outcome moves are determined. Where there is a potential for outcome moves to conflict, dice are rolled to determine which side moves first.

If a defeated force cannot retreat, it is considered captured.

Note that a battle in an area may be divided into multiple encounters to accommodate the number of players, or may be rolled for if there are not enough players that turn. Where a battle is divided into multiple encounters, the overall result for the area will be determined by the campaign coordinator, based on the balance of results of the encounters.

Terrain
It is suggested that players set up terrain for battles to reflect the details on the map, but this is not required. Lasalle terrain setup rules or other methods can also be used.

Losses
Results of the battles are applied by the campaign coordinator as losses against the strengths of the opposing divisions involved.

A Major victory is won by a side that breaks its opponent while losing no more than 4 army morale points.

Major victory - no losses
Minor victory - 25% losses
End of day/ draw - 25% losses
Minor defeat - 50% losses
Major defeat - 75% losses

All results are rounded down

Rolling for it
Sometimes you cannot get together so you may want to roll of a battle instead.
Both sides roll a d6 (+1 if you are 50% larger than the enemy).
Difference of 0 or 1 - draw
Doubled opponent - Major victory
Other results - Minor victory

Victory conditions
France will have won the campaign if, by the end of round 4, they occupy Mont St. Jean.
The Allies will have won the campaign if, by the end of turn 4, they occupy Rossomme.
If both victory conditions or neither is achieved, then the campaign result is a draw.

Prussian reinforcements
On turn one, Prussian and French forces will fight battles off the main table representing clashes around Wavre. The results of these battles will determine the speed of arrival or Prussian reinforcements on the main battlefield, and the possible arrival of elements of Grouchy’s wing. Attacker will be rolled for as usual, with +1 for the French. Ties will be re-rolled. Multiple battles can be fought in a turn at Wavre if necessary because of the number of Prussian players, though priority will be given to fighting battles involving Prussian forces on the main table. Additional battles will be decided by die roll as above. The outcome of each turn at Wavre will be determined by the net result of the battles, with 1 point scored for a marginal victory, and 2 points for a decisive victory. A tie in the outcome will be considered a Prussian victory. The outcomes will be as follows:

Turn 1
French victory – no Prussian reinforcements on the main table
Prussian victory – Prussian IV Corps arrives at Bois de Paris on turn 2

Turn 2
French victory – Prussian IV Corps arrives at Bois de Paris on turn 3, if it has not already arrived
Prussian victory – Prussian IV Corps arrives at Bois de Paris on turn 3, if it has not already arrived, and Prussian I Corps arrives at Frischermont on turn 3

Turn 3
French victory – Prussian I Corps arrives at Frischermont on turn 4, if it has not already arrived, Prussian II Corps arrives at Frischermont, on turn 4, and French IV Corps arrives at Bois de Paris
Prussian victory - Prussian I Corps arrives at Frischermont on turn 4, if it has not already arrived, Prussian II Corps arrives at Frischermont, on turn 4

If the arrival area identified above is occupied by enemy forces, then the force arrives at the next territory that is either unoccupied or occupied by friendly forces around the edge of the map, moving in an anti-clockwise direction for the Prussians, and a clockwise direction for the French.

Deployment

The tables and map below indicate the starting position of each element. (Sorry about the variable text sizes; I am html-challenged). Prior to the first turn of the campaign, each side may reposition up to 4 divisions, while maintaining Corps integrity, that is Divisions from the same Corps must remain in the same or adjacent areas on the map.
Last edited by nicholasswales on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nicholasswales

Re: Waterloo Campaign 2015

Postby nicholasswales » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:18 pm

nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:18 pm

nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:19 pm

nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:22 pm

nicholasswales

Postby TodCreasey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:28 am

Looks great Nick - looking forward to it. I can come up with the same sort of rules for Blucher as far as armies go as you did for Lasalle (Blucher has comparable army lists).

I am happy to play either side and have figures for everything (I am running the battle at Cangames as you know). If you want me to command a side I can - I'll choose the French as usual unless someone else prefers them.
TodCreasey

Postby nicholasswales » Sun May 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Looks like we have initial sides for the Waterloo Campaign, and two of the three C-in-Cs. The people who have put their hands up so far are listed below. I will let the Anglo-Allies let me know who will be Wellington! Of course, this does not limit the campaign to these players; as I have said before, anyone can participate in any round; I just need to know who will be coming as we lead up to each session so I can organize the games.

French
Serge (Napoleon)
Tod
Duncan

Anglo-Allies
Ben
Brian
Jeff

Prussians
Mike (Blucher)

Floaters
Nick
Ted
Jim

I am posting this information on both the Yahoo Group and the Forum. As you will recall from the Forum, I indicated that the French and Allies can each redeploy up to 4 divisions from their current locations on the map prior to the start of the first turn. But only to areas that currently contain forces from their sides, and in ways that keep divisions of the same Corps in the same or adjacent areas to each other. Napoleon and Wellington need to advise me of these redeployments, if any, by 22 May.

I will then update the map as soon as possible, and ask both to advise me of any moves they would like to make for the first turn by 5 June. Just to recall, all divisions can move up to one area, but none is obliged to move. I will then update the map and post information about the battles, including attachments available to each side.
nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Sat May 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Wellington (aka Jeff) asked me a few questions which are not addressed in the campaign rules at the top of this topic, so I thought I would post the replies/information for the benefit of all, so here they are:

1. When using a Guards division the "Send in the Guards" rule applies, but using the campaign definitions of major and minor victory, not the Lasalle ones of marginal and decisive victory.

2. I will be identifying the permitted base division and attachments for each battle in advance. So, if someone fields a Dutch division, the attachments will be based on the forces sharing an area with them. For battles with Dutch division as a base division option, I'll also offer a British option with Dutch allies, even if there aren't any British divisions in the sector, because I don't think there will be enough Dutch troops around for many players to field Dutch divisions. If it turns out I'm wrong about that early on, we'll adjust.

3. With regard to losses, in general I will use my gamemaster powers to attempt to be reasonable and avoid excessive gaming of the system. Therefore, if there is a large disparity in the size of forces in an area, I would apply losses to 100% of the points of smaller force, and to about 150% of the same number of points on the larger size. All the larger side's divisions would be forced to retreat if their side was defeated, though, and conceivably could all be captured if they had no line of retreat!

4. Lists will only be from the 100 days. I will make that explicit when I post the permitted lists for each battle. You may notice that the base divisions I posted on the Forum are only taken from the 100 days options, so no light division for the British.

5. Whether Vigour and Tactics will be used is up to the players fighting each battle; I will not require that they do so. In that context therefore, ratings will not carry forward, whether wounded or not.
Last edited by nicholasswales on Tue May 26, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Map post-deployment moves. First moves due to me by 5 June:

nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Wellington and Napoleon have made their first moves. For Napoleon, an all-out advance; for Wellington some blocking maneuvers:

As a result, there are 5 areas where battles will occur:

If we have enough players for more than 5 battles, I will likely divide the Hougoumont and Papelotte battles into a couple of smaller battles each. If we have fewer, we will determine through discussion and, if necessary, dice rolls, which battles will be resolved by dice rolls.

For the battles at Chemin de Plancenoit, Chemin de Bruxelles and Papelotte, the French have greater than 50% advantage, and can therefore deploy a division and 2 attachments from among those listed. The Allies will deploy a division and 1 attachment from among those listed for all 5 battles.

The French are the attacker for Hougoumont and Papelotte; the attackers for Chemin de Plancenoit, Chemin de Bruxelles, and Wavre will be determined according to the rules on page 87 of the Lassale rulebook. If players would like to determine attacker and defender before the 19th, and terrain set-ups, they are free to do so. I am happy to serve as a place to which attacker/defender choices can be submitted, or to roll dice for attacker/defender and terrain as required.

Please let me know as soon as possible who plans to play on the 19th, so that we can begin to organize match-ups, terrain and army borrowing as needed.
nicholasswales

Next

Return to Historical