Re: Waterloo Campaign 2015

Postby nicholasswales » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:47 am

Outcomes of round 1 battles were as follows:

Papelotte - draw - French withdraw
Chemin de Bruxelles - draw - both sides withdraw
Chemin de Plancenoit - French major victory - Anglo-Allies withdraw
Hougoumont - 2 battles fought; draw and British minor victory - French withdraw
Wavre - French major victory - arrival of Prussian IV Corps delayed

Note that, after discussion, we modified the "Send in the Guards" rule to cause a draw if the Guards do not win a major victory, rather than a defeat for the side using Guards.

So the map after round 1 is as follows:

Casualties were relatively small, but French and Anglo-Allied strengths are as follows:

French and Anglo-Allied moves for round 2 are due to me by Monday, 6 July.

I will then post a revised map, and the list of battles and associated forces.
nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Turn 2 moves are in.

Map looks as follows:

The situation at Chemin de Plancenoit is a bit complicated. Both British (3 Div, Brunswick Div and Dutch Cavalry Div) and French forces (19 and 20 Divs, and 1 Cav Corps) attempted to advance across the boundary between the sector and Ferme Mont Saint Jean, so that will be fought as one battle. The loser will be forced to withdraw from the area from which they advanced, including unengaged units. Additional British (2 Div) and French forces (5 Div) then advanced into the area from adjacent sectors, so that will be treated as a separate battle. If the French lose both battles, 19, 20 Divs and I Cav Corps will be allowed to retreat to Hougoumont; 5 Div will return to Mon Plaisir.

So we have 4 battles to begin with:

Note that, for the Chemin de Bruxelles battles, base division and attachment options can be combined as the French player sees fit. He is not restricted to the Line and Guard combinations in the book. So a Guard base division could have Light Cavalry, Lancer, Elite (non-guard) or Veteran (non-guard) infantry supports, and conversely a Line base division can take Young and Old Guard supports. The "Send in the Guards| rule as we are currently playing it will still apply if he chooses a Guard base division, but not a Line base division with Guard support.

If we have enough players for more than 4 battles on the 17th, I will start by running Chemin de Bruxelles as two battles (same force options for each side), then Chemin de Plancenoit/Ferme Mont Saint Jean as two to get us up to 6. After that, I will start to get more creative....
nicholasswales

Postby BrianH » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:04 am

Nick can you roll for the terrain and deployment in my game versus Ted at Chemin de Plancenoit . The British a 28 point to 11 advantage for the British (2.5 : 1) and there appears to be a large hill on the map.

Thanks,
Brian
BrianH

Postby nicholasswales » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Outcomes of round 2 battles were as follows:

Ferme Mont Saint Jean / Chemin de Plancenoit - draw - both sides withdraw. French forced to retreat to Hougoumont because of result of Chemin de Placenoit battle
Chemin de Plancenoit - Anglo-Allied minor victory - French withdraw
Chemin de Bruxelles - 2 battles fought; draw and French major victory - Anglo-Allies withdraw
Wavre - French minor victory - Prussian IV Corps arrives

So the map after round 2 is as follows:

French, Anglo-Allied and Prussian strengths are as follows:

Round 3 moves are due by Tuesday, 28 July.

I will then post a revised map, and the list of battles and associated forces.
nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Wellington, Blucher and Napoleon have made their latest moves. The map now looks as follows:

There are 5 potential battles:

As before, base divisions and options can be mixed and matched as you see fit for your force.

I haven't wrapped my head around the possible matchups for Sunday, yet, based on this, so if the generals have preferences, let me know. Looks like we'll have 8 players, so can play 4 battles, though we have 5 on the list. I would suggest we roll for the last round of Wavre; it will have little or no impact on the campaign outcome, I would think.
nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Outcomes of round 3 battles were as follows:

Hougoumont / Ferme Mont Saint Jean - French major victory - Allies retreat to Mont Saint Jean
Chemain d'Ohain / Chemin de Bruxelles - Draw - both sides return to starting positions
Papelotte - Draw - Allied attackers return to starting positions
Mon Plaisir - Allied minor victory - French retreat to Rossomm
Wavre - French victory(rolled for, 6-3) - Prussian reinforcements arrive at Frischermont; French reinforcement arrive at Bois de Paris

So the map after turn 3 is as follows:

French, Anglo-Allied and Prussian strengths are as follows:

Both sides are able to claim victory (and I suppose therefore a drawn campaign!)!

Last session is on November 20, so no hurry to give me round 4 moves.

And so that both sides know how I will manage one of the possible, and significant moves, if the French attack Mont Saint Jean, and the Allies reinforce the area by moving other forces in, then those reinforcing units can participate in the battles, but the French will be the attacker. If the Allies attack out of the area towards Ferme Mont Saint Jean, they can only attack with the elements currently in Mont Saint Jean, but, assuming the French are attacking in the other direction at the same time (as seems likely), but attacker will be determined using the rulebook rules (p.87).
nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Turn 4 moves are in. The map now looks as follows:

There are six battles, as follows:

The French are the attackers for the Merbraine and Mont Saint Jean battles; the attacker is to be determined by p.87 of the rulebook for the other 4 battles.

So far there appear to be 7 players coming on the 20th: Nick, Ben, Martin, Jeff, Duncan, Serge and Peter B. An eighth player would obviously be highly desirable? I assume we will definitely want to game the battles at Mont Saint Jean and Rossomme/Mon Plaisir. Perhaps Napoleon and Wellington could each nominate a first and second choice among the other battles, and I will then confirm one from each side, and we can sort out who will play which ones. Of course, there is always the option for players to play the remaining battles before Friday outside the club, so let me know if you do that. Otherwise, we'll roll them on the day, to complete the set.
nicholasswales

Postby nicholasswales » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:46 am

A decisive final day for the French, and victory in the campaign to Napoleon! The future of European civilization is now in the hands of the Austrians and Russians. Never a good idea.

All four battles fought at the Club were French victories, decisive everywhere except Merbraine. We forgot to roll on the day for the other two battles to complete the round; I rolled them today: 3-2 for the Allies at Chemin d'Ohain / Papelotte, but since the French get +1 for numerical superiority for that battle, it is effectively a draw, allowing all the Allied forces in Chemin d'Ohain to retreat north off the map, along with the forces at Mont Saint Jean and Merbraine. The French forces in the battle are required to retreat back to Papelotte, but Prussian 1st and 16th Brigades are waiting for them, so the French forces are destroyed. The result at Frischermont / Bois de Paris is a 6-5 roll for the French, forcing Prussian 14th and 15th Brigades to join most of the rest of the Allied army in retreat off the map.

The French control the battlefield; isolated packets of allied forces are all that remain on the field for their side.

Remaining forces are a s follows:

Thank you to all our participants!
nicholasswales

Previous

Return to Historical