Hail Caesar: Of Men and Gods

Hail Caesar: Of Men and Gods

Postby Duncan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Edward and I had a prcatice Hail Caesar game in preparation for the game we plan to run at Cangames next year.

The scenario is based on the "Of Men and Gods Scenario" in the Hail Caesar rulebook. The secenario in the book calls for 3 divisions on each side but we used 2 small divisions on each side:

Romans:
1st Divsion: 3 units of Auxiliary Cavalry, 1 Unit of Auxilary Archer
2nd Divsion: 2 units of Legion Infantry, 1 Unit of Auxilary Infantry, 1 Unit of Scorpio Light Artillery

Britons:
Catubatrenus: 1 Unit of Chariot, 1 unit of Cavalry, 1 unit of Warband, 1 unit of Fanatic Druid Warband
Bagotrix: 1 Unit of Cavalry, 1 unit of Warband, 1 unit of Fanatic Druid Warband, 1 unit of Archers
Townsfolk: 1 Tiny unit of Sentry, 1 Herdsman, 1 Unit of Hunters

The scenario begins with the Romans entering on the west edge spotted by the Herdsman who will then run to the sentries in the Watchtower to alert the British.

We didn't have the terrain ready so we used lichen for the woods and had some paper markers for everthing else.

The game started with the Roman Cavalry Division moving on

It took them a turn to get moving but eventually the cavalry surged forward and caught up to the Herdsman trying to get to the watchtower.

He managed to evade and get into the watchtower area and we decided that the cavalry was not allowed to attack into that.

The tiny sentry unit in the tower managed to force the cavalry back with bow fire and then I rolled a blunder trying to move them so they backed up into the woods becoming disordered!

The hunstmen moved up to shoot at the cavalry

The cavalry division rolled another blunder and the other cavalry tried to go around the watchtower the wrong way!

The watchtower got lucky again and drove another unit into the woods.

The Britons closed in on the confused Roman Horsemen

The results were not really a surprise

The Legion infantry finally arrived to try and regain control but the British chariots had already engaged the remaining Cavalry

The Legion was easily victorious but one Cavalry was shaken.

Showing more courage than sense, the Legion advanced after their victory and the Britons moved in for the kill

The cavalry and chariots continued their struggle

The Legion managed to win the first round of battle the lead unit was shattered after pushing even further forward

The supporting unit was destroyed on the following turn and we decided to call the game there (The Romans did manage to destroy the chariot)

The dynamic of the game with most of the troops entering off table seemed to work quite well but we will nee a slightly bigger table once we have more stuff painted. I think it will work well for a con game as long as we can make sure everyone gets involved relatively quickly.
Duncan

Re: Hail Caesar: Of Men and Gods

Postby Mike_a » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 am

Looks great, seems like you had quite a few command and control problems thou. The chariots seem fun, do they work just the same as any other cav unit?

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:55 am

I failed quite a few command rolls right at the beginning which let the British form up -- and allowed the watchtower with its ranged attack value of 1 wreak havoc on my cavalry!!

The chariot is much like light cavalry with a lower sustained combat value and a better save. It may also have a long rage shooting stat but I can't remember. I also think it can only move on open ground. It did really well in the game, I think it had done 12 hits to my 2 cavalry units while only taking 2 itself.
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 pm

I guess the watchtower just needs to get a lucky 6 and it can have a big effect like that. You seem to have particularly bad luck with the command rolls thou, same thing happened at Cangames as I recall.

Looks impressive with all the 28s, I want to to do more Hail Caesar stuff but to many projects on the go right now and I have been slacking a bit. I picked up the US landing company box and the landing craft from Fandom yesterday, but have a starter force from Ronin, and a few other things I should finish first!

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 pm

I had forgotten that the General can reroll a command roll so I might have been able to avoid a few of those blunders (but we also skipped the Roman Special rule in the scenario for the General being drunk so it probably all balanced out).

I am still pretty focused on my Romans -- I actually bought 2 more units, a unit of Marine medium infantry and some archers. I have plans to paint up some terrain and fortifications for the Caen campaign but I want to keep on the Romans until they are done. The landing company is a pretty cool (if limited use) unit.
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:50 pm

We did a second playtest of this in December. I don't really remember any details but here are some pictures

Duncan

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 pm

That looks like an interesting battle. Are the white cattle from Medb's herd? Do they count as a pack of hounds in the game?
WuZhuiQiu

Postby Duncan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:55 pm

If they were Irish cattle I am sure they would have been much more dangerous! In the game they were just VP -- the last side to have touched them with a unit can move them one move towards their table edge each turn until they are off.
Duncan

Return to Historical