Force on Force: Going after the Money

Force on Force: Going after the Money

Postby Duncan » Sat May 25, 2013 10:21 am

This year at Cangames I ran a slightly modified version of the Going after Money scenario from the Day of the Rangers book.

The main change is that the building Atto has hidden in has several rooms and the Delta force will have to search for him. This makes the game last longer and is a bit more challenge for the US player. I also added some UN ground forces that will arrive later in the game to try and balance this out a bit (and in playtest that seemed to work out...). In the event, the US players managed to continue the Cangames tradition of really bad luck.

The game starts with the Rangers fast roping in to hold the perimeter while Delta goes after the target

In the first few turns the US players had a string of bad luck -- One of the Delta teams kept failing their breach roll (they needed to roll anything but a 1 on a d10), they took heavy casualties in 2 exchanges of fire and they drew a fog of war card that cancelled their air support (this was huge and what really tipped the balance)

This was followed by a close combat on one of the hotspots which saw one of the Ranger fire teams captured (and the associated gun team left wounded in the street)

The Pakistani UN troops arrived at about the same time but the luck didn't change -- the M48 fired one relatively devastating shot into a building but on the next combat the US player drew another Fog of War which indicated the tanks main gone malfunctioned so it didn't get to fire a second shot. Because there weren't enough active Rangers to keep the Somalis engaged, the M113s were easy targets for RPGs

Delta did manage to capture Atto but one side of the table was no completely controlled by the Somalis and there was still no air cover so they tried to move him towards one of the M113s.

The ground fire was too heavy so they decided to try and hold in the main building until re-enforcements could arrive.

The game ended with Delta and the remaining Rangers and Pakistanis holding onto the main building and one corner of the map.

Although it turned into a bit of disaster for the US, everyone seemed to enjoy the game.

In hindsight, I probably should have removed the bad weather cards from the fog of war deck (or at least told the US players that there mission was no to hold out in the central building until someone can reach them when the card was drawn) but these events are what can make the game more exciting
Duncan

Re: Force on Force: Going after the Money

Postby stanislov72 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for running the game Duncan...I had a great time, he scenario was pretty challenging.
stanislov72

Re: Force on Force: Going after the Money

Postby Duncan » Thu May 30, 2013 7:28 am

It was perhaps more challenging for the US player than I would have liked!

I think next year I will do a custom Fog of War deck -- I should be able to figure out how to print something reasonable between now and then.
Duncan

Return to Historical