Battle of Mimasetoge, Hail Caesar

Battle of Mimasetoge, Hail Caesar

Postby Duncan » Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm

I played in the Battle of Mimasetoge game that Mike ran at Cangames. I was commanding part of the Hojo army as we were surprised (very much so as it turned out!) by a Takeda attack.

We had 2 infantry divisions which were set up in a rather scattered fashion and the Takeda had an infantry division and a cavalry division.

We planned to form a line anchoring on the two groups of trees with out missile troops in the edges of the woods. I hadn't mentally made the adjustment from inches to cm (the moves were reduced since we were playing with 15mm) so I think we were a bit over ambitious in our plan (even without the terrible command rolls I ended up making).

The division I was not commanding did manage to get a thin unsupported line between the trees while my command rolled a blunder and my longspear unit marched up towards the wood edge.

The Takeda cavalry were much more enthusiastic and closed the distance towards our line.

The next turn I managed to move nothing and the cavalry slammed into our line. Our hope was that the unit with longs spears would be able to hold off long enough for my units to arrive.

It did hold but barely and the unit next to it was destroyed by the supported cavalry charging into it.

The archers on the right were badly hit and disordered.

My troops were just sitting back and watching the carnage!

On our turn, I managed to get one unit to move and the archers died in the continuing combat (and the longspear were disordered).

But those units were wiped out in the Takeda turn (at least by this point, some of the cavalry units were close to having 6 hits)

I did manage to get a successful command roll (for a single move!) and managed to form a rather sad looking line.

My line was hit by the cavalry the next turn.

One of my units was wiped out and the cavalry carried on into the flank of my longspear. The other cavalry was knocked down to 6 hits.

On our turn I drove back one of the cavalry units and supported the longspear with my bow unit.

The Takeda cavalry charged back fully supported (but I think each of the units had 5 hits by this time). I ended up taking out the cavalry division but my division was broken by that time (and our other division was broken shortly after the first cavalry charge) so the Takeda won.

It was a quick but fun game.
Duncan

Re: Battle of Mimasetoge, Hail Caesar

Postby Mike_a » Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 am

Glad you enjoyed it. I think next time I might try rating the cav as medium instead of heavy so they would get 1 less attack (clash and sustained) and I think have a worse save, possibly limit the lance to only some of them. It's had to say thou if they happen to get disordered by the long spear it is allot harder for them to break through the line.

I think I also overestimated how far the units would get to move, since in the 28mm version they can almost cross the table in 1 go, so I may have put the second Hojo army to far back out of position.

Out of the 4 games I have tried for samurai I think Hail Caesar works the best just because it's allot easier to play. FoG-R, Renaissance Warfare, a DBMM all give basically the same game, only the dicing mechanics are different and the DB games let you move individual bases around.

Also I want to get a new mat which is not so green, may have to just order 1 from baueda since I really like the smaller 1 I have from them.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 am

If we had formed up in a supported line, the cavalry chage would likely have failed so I don't think it would be necessary to reduce the power of the cavalry (I have no idea what their historical role would be though).
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Tue May 21, 2013 12:23 pm

I just realized from looking at the Hail Caesar forums that we did the rally order wrong -- it is the last order that a commander does, not the first. So whether or not the rally order is successful the commanders order phase is over once he gives a rally order.
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Tue May 21, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm not all that certain of that either really, the importance and amount of cavalry tended to decrease over time and this is a fairly late battle so we had to much if it most likely. But the Takeda were an exception to the norm having allot more cav then most of the other clans so I thought it was ok. There are troop numbers in the killer katanas but I ignored them and just used what I had, the Hojo also had something like a 2:1 advantage in numbers according to that as well.

I'm not really looking for a great deal of historical rigor so I guess it doesn't matter really. The long spear could also be rated as Pike I guess which is similar to long spear except the cav is not allowed to charge period unless they are disrupted.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Tue May 21, 2013 12:37 pm

I thought the balance was good for game purposes. It gave the Takeda the choice of rushing forward with the knights to catch us before we formed up at the risk of being caught without any infantry support
Duncan

Return to Historical