Matching scales, figures, and games

Matching scales, figures, and games

Postby bayruun » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

I'd like to figure out where my collection of figures and rulesets fit into what the OMG plays commonly. As such, I'm going to list my stuff and guess at what it matches.

Basically, which games are played at OMG that parts of my collection will work with?

Figures:
28mm Samurai (pending) - SAGA
28mm Late Republic Romans; Early Imperial Romans - Hail Caesar, FOG
28mm Napoleonic French - Lasalle, Black Powder
6mm Polybian Romans - DBA? Warmaster Ancients, FOG
6mm SYW British and French - Might and Reason, Warmaster Ancients SYW
15mm SYW British and French (probably selling) - Might and Reason, Warmaster Ancients SYW
1:2400 WW2 British, German, American, Japanese - Naval Thunder, GQ3, etc
1:256 Late Cold War British and Russians - Cold War Commander, Micro Armour

Rulesets:
Might and Reason, Naval Thunder, SAGA, Field of Glory, Sharpe Practice, Cold War Commander

That's all I can think of for now.
bayruun

Re: Matching scales, figures, and games

Postby nicholasswales » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 am

See my comments beside each one

Figures:
28mm Samurai (pending) - SAGA - Yes
28mm Late Republic Romans; Early Imperial Romans - Hail Caesar, FOG - In theory yes, plus DBMM rules though I don't know if anyone in the club has any 28mm opponents for Romans
28mm Napoleonic French - Lasalle, Black Powder - Yes, with a current and active following
6mm Polybian Romans - DBA? Warmaster Ancients, FOG - In theory DBA and FOG yes, plus DBMM; I've never seen Warmaster Ancients actually played with Ancients at the club, and I don't know of anyone in the club with 6mm Ancients. Sell them; replace with 15mm... 8-)
6mm SYW British and French - Might and Reason, Warmaster Ancients SYW - In theory yes. Also Maurice for rules. I don't know anyone else in the club with 6mm SYW, but you have both sides, so could put on games anyway. Sell them; buy more 15mm... 8-)
15mm SYW British and French (probably selling) - Might and Reason, Warmaster Ancients SYW - Yes. Don't sell them.
1:2400 WW2 British, German, American, Japanese - Naval Thunder, GQ3, etc - There have been some discussions about naval, but I don't play it so haven't followed them, so cannot advise on this
1:256 Late Cold War British and Russians - Cold War Commander, Micro Armour - I have never seen this played at the club, though I believe it was in the distant past, and don't know any current club members with collections, but again you have both sides, so could put on games

Overall I would conclude that you have several collections that align with club members' interest and collections, and some that don't. Like everyone else in the club. So I think we could be a good home for you!

Nick
nicholasswales

Postby bayruun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Excellent so far. The reason I've stayed away from 15mm (except for the FIW stuff I have) is that I find it to be an awkward scale. It's too small to be detailed like the 28s but too big to get the "army spectacle" feel that 6mm does. I might just be overthinking it, though, and perhaps I should just sit down with some and put paint to pewter again.

I've been considering buying some of those fancy new Macedonians from Warlord Games, so maybe I can provide both sides for a Romans versus Successors matchup. I'd like to try my hand at various games before I commit to any of them, though. I'll have to stop by one of these weekends to see how things are done!
bayruun

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

I believe that Nick is actually one of the co-authors of the Warmaster SYW rules!

Re. 28mm Romans, there are some nascent collections of 28mm ancients, although they may make for ahistorical match-ups. For example, I think that Duncan A. has some 28mm dark age (or early medieval) figures.

I've got some 28mm Romans that need work (like most everything else), but I'm so slow that it may be best not to count on my finishing them soon. Note that Romans can be used against Romans for the "year of four emperors" civil war.
WuZhuiQiu

Postby nicholasswales » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 am

bayruun wrote:The reason I've stayed away from 15mm (except for the FIW stuff I have) is that I find it to be an awkward scale. It's too small to be detailed like the 28s but too big to get the "army spectacle" feel that 6mm does.

Preferences are preferences. Your challenge is that if others don't have the same ones for scale, then you struggle to find opponents with matching armies, which guided my recommendations above. And, for better or worse, it is usually easier in the club to arrange games where others get to bring their toys too than when everyone is playing with your toys (preferences, again!).

There are indeed growing collections in the club of Ancients in 28mm; Samurai as you note, Dark Ages, Trojans, Wars of the Roses, just to mention those of which I am aware. But none of them is a suitable historical opponent for your Polybians. Successors are an excellent choice for opponent if you want to build on them, and Roman internecine warfare is an option pretty much throughout the Republic and Empire (though the Year of Four Emperors is a couple of hundred years later than the Polybian period), but I'd suggest you pick up some dark ages stuff and join into the club's SAGA interest as your next Ancients 28mm move. You can start small and still put meaningful forces on the table, and it has the considerable benefit that a substantial proportion of the relevant figs are available now in plastic, thereby bringing the price down a lot.

Nick
nicholasswales

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 am

Those are some more very wise comments and suggestions above.

Re. your Romans, from how late in the Republic are they? If they are from the time of Marius onward, they would also be known as "Marian Roman" in DBx-inspired gaming circles.
WuZhuiQiu

Postby bayruun » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Sounds like Dark Ages might be the way to go; I'm certainly interested in that period.

As for my 28s, I have two sets. One is made up of Marian Romans and the other is Early Imperial (I think -- lorica segmentata and cylindrical scuta). Neither of these sets is particularly complete, they were just picked up on a whim.
bayruun

Postby nicholasswales » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Sorry. my mistake on the period of your 28mm Romans; got them confused with your 6mm. In that case, Successors are not a great choice as opponent, since there was little left of them by the time of Marius, but civil wars were all the rage... But go Dark Ages!
nicholasswales

Postby bayruun » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm

I've been looking into basing my 28mm Napoleonic French. I currently have a Perry box of infantry and a foot gun. I may continue with them or eventually move to Austrians. How does basing work for Lasalle?
bayruun

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:12 am

bayruun wrote:I've been looking into basing my 28mm Napoleonic French. I currently have a Perry box of infantry and a foot gun. I may continue with them or eventually move to Austrians. How does basing work for Lasalle?

For 28mm infantry, I believe that it is 4 figures mounted four-square on a 4cm square base. In our club's usage, four such bases make up a battalion. One of the bases will include the officer, standard-bearer(s), and drummer.

I'm not sure about artillery - you may want to ask on the Yahoo! group.
WuZhuiQiu

Next

Return to Historical