Battle Cry 2012

Battle Cry 2012

Postby Mike_a » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Yesterday I attended the Flames of War tournament in Petawawa, it was 1650 Late war, had a great time. I had an idea that there was likely to be allot of tigers and king tigers so I decided to give my US Paratroopers a go, which are great fun anyway. My list was as follows:

+ Brigadier General James Gavin (from know your enemy)

Game 1:

In game 1 I played against Alec's Tiger Company in Breakthrough (1 of my favorite missions).

I deployed 1 infantry platoon, the engineers, and the anti-tank guns, to cover the middle of the board, with the engineers at the top to also cover a road running behind the buildings. I put the other infantry platoon in the far right to move onto the objective, attached out all the machine guns to boost my infantry, and just stuck the guns somewhere.

AT first the tigers tried to break through the infantry, along with some panzer grenadiers and mobile AA. But they had terrible luck, only killing a few teams. Eventually the anti-tank guns and some lmgs killed allot of the half tracks and so the tigers decided to try moving around the back road while being harassed by artillery.

I sent a few bazookas forwad to fight the mobile AA as the tigers slowly moved around, and some more tigers came in from reserve and took up a position in the field to hammer away at the platoon on the objective. So I started moving in the first platoon to assault them.

In the end my infantry took out the 2 new tigers in an assault, the 3 engineer bazookas and artillery took out the AA, and then the 3 bazookas went on to assault the tiger commander and another tiger on the road (I was getting greedy). That assault actually worked against all odds so the German company broke their morale as the commander was dead and they were below half. Luckily the Germans were rolling lots of 2s and 1s so my assaults went allot easier then could have been the case, this trend continued all day really.

Game 2:

Game 2 was Hold the Line with the Dawn Attack rules in effect, and I played against Bob and his Peiper Kampfgruppe. He had some King Tigers, but also a unit of recon, and panzer 4s and air, along with infantry and AA. I was a bit worried about the recon to be honest.

In this game I deployed 1 infantry platoon on the forward objective, 1 on the rear objective, and the anti-tank guns in Ambush, the rest was in reserve. Due to the night rules Bobs whole force was slowed in it's advance and his air couldn't be used early in the game. His Recon couldn't get with 16" on their recon move so had to move up again on their turn. On my turn I was able to ambush my guns in the woods as they were to far away and they killed a couple and the last failed platoon morale.

The guns were quickly wiped out by all the tanks thou, which continued to move forward and whittle down the forward infantry platoon, which was quite large due to attachments (+4 lmgs +2 bazookas).

Eventually they got in real close and tried an assault, they killed a few but I pulled out due to not having good odds in the fight. On my turn I launched a counter attack with more teams and killed 2 king tigers that had made it to the objectives. I then sent some teams from the back platoon to assault the half tracks in the woods (half or more were bogged down so seemed like good odds), and then the remains of the first platoon assaulted and capture the last king tiger.

That ended the game effectively. i think the night rules really helped me out with this one, the recon could have caused allot more casualties in the forward platoon if they had been left to do their thing, and it was holding on by a thread, but due to the slower movement he couldn't get close enough to the crucial wood in time.

Game 3

In game 3 I played against Jay's King Tiger company (sheesh) in free for all, which is a tough 1 to win with infantry. I decided to attack with infantry platoon on both sides right from the start, and sent the engineers up the middle.

On the far right I moved at the double on the first turn, hoping to cancel it with gavin, and put some pressure on that objective (my real plan was to kick the infantry off the closer objective as it seemed easier but either or would be fine).

On the right side the infantry took allot of casualties from the panzer werfers and tigers, but kept them busy most of the game and never broke. The engineers in the center were able to kill of the mobile AA, finishing them in an assault even. but again took allot of casualties and eventually broke.

On the left the infantry advanced through the woods, against taking fire from a tiger and a few rockets but took allot less casualties and got ready to assault the infantry.

After a few assaults I beat out the infantry platoon, love the big partrooper platoons, then got ready to defend against the coming king tiger.

I was able to capture the tiger in the coming assault and so won the game, but again that platoon was hanging by a thread. So I got a bit lucky in taking just the right amount of casualties. Also every time I assault Jay was only able to get 4 hits (which happened 4 or 5 times!).

I ended up as best general, with a 6-1 victory and 2 5-2 victories (if memory serves), and Serge was best overall with 3 6-1s (show off!). Lots of tigers and king tigers captured or destroyed in assaults so I had a great time. I picked up a box of the new Panzer 4 Js with my winnings.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Re: Battle Cry 2012

Postby Duncan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 pm

It looks like it was a lot of fun.

Do you know why they chose 1650 -- it seems like a strange number of points.
Duncan

Re: Battle Cry 2012

Postby Mike_a » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Not sure really, I assumed that either they did it to match up with a big tournament like nationals or something, or else it was a comprimise between people that wanted to play 1500, and others that wanted 1750. It wasn't a big deal really, you can add in an extra platoon or else make 1 larger and add a few independants.

The tournament at Game Summit in February is 1650 Late War as well.

Trying to decide if I should just take the para troopers again, I think I would either do the Julian Cook force with 2 engineer platoons and 2 combat platoons (by dropping the machine gun platoon and 2 of the 57mm guns), or else reduce the machine guns and add the 4 bazookas to the anti-tank gun platoon. I guess the new market garden books will be out by then as well so might be some new or slightly different options as well. Other option is to finish my Gurkhas, or else due some kind of tank company.

Seems to me that the US Para are just superior to the Gurkhas thou, as they get bonuses against tanks where the Gurkhas get them against infantry, and tanks is what I would be most likely facing. Reluctant Trained Panthers and Panzer 4s would be fun too, but likely to get massacred by king tigers and heavy russian tanks.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Return to Historical