Fall-In 2012

Fall-In 2012

Postby Mike_a » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm

On Friday I played in the Flames of War doubles tournament with Tod, we had a Sturm Company with 3x Infantry Platoons (2 with full panzerfaust) and a heavy platoon with 2 mortars and 2 HMGs, and a Stug Company with 7 Stugs and 2 Tigers.

Game 1

In Game 1 we played a pair of british infantry companies, I believe both were reluctant veteran, the mission was Fighting Withdrawl.

In the inital set up we deployed our infantry on the far right with the intention to assault through the large woods to the objective which could not be removed, and tanks on the left to mask our plans and keep them from putting to much stuff on the right.

As the game progressed we pushed the infantry into the woods and the tanks through the town. The infantry was able to kill a platoons of engineers, tanks, and anti-tank guns all with assaults and set up to assault the objective.

We the launched a series of 4 assaults with 2 infantry platoons, the the tigers, and then some Stugs to push them back off the objective. In the process of the infantry assaults our infantry company became broken, however the tank assaults killed a platoon which also broke 1 of our opponents companies. We were lucky enough to pass our company morale test and they were not so managed a 4-3 win.

Game 2

In mission 2 we played a US Recon Company and a Us Infantry company, with a total of 3 Tank Destroyer platoons (2 self propelled and 1 towed), in free for all. We soon learned about the pain of the new tank destroyer rules.

We spread out and deployed a mix of tanks and infantry on both sides of the board with a plan to play conservatively until the Tank Destroyers ambushed and we could fight them.

Our plan worked ok and Tod was able to weather the first few rounds of fire with out loosing much. The tanks were able to kill more then half of the tank destroyers, and killed the 4 best in 1 round. I was able to take most of their guns with an infantry assault, but we took allot of losses as well and I believe we lost do to the tank company being broken with a dead commander. Still it was a 2-5 loss but we made a good fight of it.

Game 3

In game 3 we played another US team, this time with a tank company and an infantry company in Encounter. Basically they only deployed 1 platoon of tanks and the company command with Abrams, and we were able to kill that platoon and both command teams before they got any reserves and broke the company. Sadly I did not remember to take any pictures of this game.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Re: Fall-In 2012

Postby Mike_a » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm

On Saturday I played in the Saga tournament using an Anglo-Dane army. The mission was Skirmish (first to lose 2 saga dice loses) for all the games with preset terrain.

Game 1

In game 1 I played a warband of normans, in a very tough stand offish battle where no one wanted to make any mistakes.

My plan was to use to woods to make choke points and wear them down but this didn't work out well due to their archers, which kept killing my troops. Eventually they sent in a unit of knights which I was able to fend off using some defensive abilities, and then prevented them from escaping. On my turn I attacked with my warlord and a unit of heathguard and was able to kill the remaining knights but lost my unit as well.

On the other side a unit of knights charged up through the woods and with some archers and another heathguard unit I killed all but 1 knight which was able to pull back out of range preventing me from winning.

My plan was to exhaust and kill that knight but before I could the archers and a charge of knights on the other side broke through and killed another unit ending the game in a lose.

Game 2

In game 2 I played some very aggressive vikings, that attacked on a wide front without using to many battle board abilities.

I was able to kill 1 unit of warriors without to much trouble. Then our warlords had an indecisive fight, and I was able to finish off a few heath guard for the win.

Game 3

In game 3 I played the tricky welsh.

They used a large field to limit my movements, and killed me with a rain of javelins. I was able to kill a fair number of warriors, but spread out over a few units. I at least managed to kill 6 out of 10 of the mounted welshmen with a few good volleys of arrows.

Eventually they wiped out 1 unit with javelins and then made a big attack surrounding another for the win.

They gave everyone that took part a free figure which was pretty cool.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Return to Historical