Hail Ceasar, Nomans & Welsh

Hail Ceasar, Nomans & Welsh

Postby Mike_a » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 am

Over the weekend I played a game of Hail Ceasar with Duncan, to try that game out. I found it to be a fun game, allot simpler then the more complicated games like DBMM or FoG.

Here is the inital set up:

The welsh advanced a bit and fired some skirmishing shots into a unit of crossbows. In this game if you get a 6 on a shooting dice the defending unit has to take a break test, I rolled 2 1s for the crossbows so they were gone right off the start.

On my turn I charged in on the left with my knights. The way orders work is that you roll a dice for your general and depending on how much lower then his generalship value you get you can move your unit (or division) up to 3 times so you can cross the board quite quickly.

I forced the welsh back initally.

But they didn't break and in the end they got the upper hand and destroyed my knights.

On the right hand side of the board the welsh skirmishers occupied the town and we had a few assaults and some shot traded back and forth. In the end the welsh cavalary got involved and almost all of my units were left shaken so the right division was also broken giving me a loss.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Re: Hail Ceasar, Nomans & Welsh

Postby Duncan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:03 pm

It was a good game, I will post some pictures from the Welsh perspective in a day or two.

The game flows well and there is enough differentiation between the different units -- the only thing we had difficulty with was what happend when multiple units get involved in a combat (especially when they join in different turns) and I expect that will become clear (or at least clearer) on re-reading the rules.
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 am

Here are some of the pictures I took.

Several of my Welsh are missing sheilds and weapons because I had been painting them at Ed's place in Kingston and had left them there!

We both had 2 Divisions which turned out to be a pretty good size, it would probably have been better with 3 because there was a lot of flanking in the combats later in the game (though that was also beacuse we didn't really have and idea about what tactics were appropriate.

This was where I learned the importance of support -- I really should have kept my bow units formed and in support of my other infantry rather than having them skirmish.

This cavalry unit could not charge into any bow units, it would always fail its check when it was shot at. It was also thwarted charging another unit later in the game when it passed in front of these archers and got shot while charging.

One of the battles where the cavalry got hit in the flank

This battle went on and on with both of us drawing in terms of hits and I could not get my other infantry to move in to support.

Finally, I have some support in position!
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 am

Some thoughts I had after the game:

I really need movement trays!! It would really be good to integrate a way to track hits and status into the tray as well.

Looking at the list book again, I think the figures I have might actually be more appropriate for the Arthurian-British list rather than the pure Welsh list.

I am now torn between getting my Almoravid army painted and adding to my current army. I think I will paint the Almoravids but I suspect my Welsh will be making an appearance as Christian mercenaries!
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I think there is a seperate later welsh list as well.

Nice pictures, the close ups you have are very nice, and show off our excellent figures. It's interesting to see the oposing viewpoint as well.

For the hit tracking I have asked Jeff to do some Norman dials for me that count up to 6 I think that should do the trick. They seem to work quite well with Lasalle / Maurice.

My plan is to buy another box of the Conquest games plastic Knights at fall in, and someone has done a set of shield decals for them now without the hole for the boss. I already have a box of their plastic Normans on foot as well. So that would be another 2 units of cav and 4 of foot, I could easily do 3 divisions then. I want to paint some more of the other dark ages stuff as well, that is kind of long term thou.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm

The later Welsh would make much more sense fighting the Normans! They would probably look more like the Anglo-Saxons.

I have ordered a few movement trays from a company in the UK. I am hoping that the "rails" around the movement tray are thick enough that I can drill holes in them to use to put small pegs to mark hits and conditions. The dials should work as well.

My current plan for 28mm is to get the Koreans done for Saga (I have ordered some of them) and then get stuck in to the Almoravids.

I am not sure how much of his Spanish Ed has painted but he is probably close to a divsion worth of that.
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 pm

The pegs are a good idea, sounds like it could be a bit fiddly thou. I supose we could always just take 1 guy off the base per casualty as well but that doesn't seem right somehow.
The trays I have were from war bases, they seemed pretty good to me. But they are all more or less the same I guess.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:24 pm

I am not certain about the peg idea but I want to give it a try.

I agree that figure removal wouldn't work well -- the small units and cavalry would lose half their stands.

A movement tray that was a bit bigger in the "depth" direction could have space for dice or tokens but that might look a bit messy.

You left one of your movement trays here on Saturday.
Duncan

Return to Historical