1/2400 WW2 Naval

Re: 1/2400 WW2 Naval

Postby bayruun » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:47 am

I haven't even bothered with bases yet. I'm usually pretty good at identifying ships without them, but I can understand if it's more convenient to make bases. I'll probably start working on some soon.

Most of my ships are one-piece resins from Panzerschiffe -- I'm a gamer first and a hobbyist second. However, I do have a selection of C-in-C and GHQ; they're quite pretty but I find them difficult to assemble and paint to a standard fitting their quality. Of my pewter ships I only have Warspite finished. I'll probably start on my Kongos next.
bayruun

Postby Duncan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:48 am

HMS Warrior was unusual in having rifled breech loading guns in the 1860s, they didn't become common until the 1880s (and I think most of the Warrior's breech loading guns were replaced with muzzle loaders fairly early on its career)

The Ironclad era is fascinating in terms of the design of the ships with things like rams and spar torpedoes and experiments with weird turrets and really bizarre ship shapes -- like the Russian monitors that were perfectly round http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_monitor_Novgorod

If I was going to do WWII or WWI naval again, I think I would choose a scale larger than 1/2400 because I prefer smaller ship actions and I would like the models to have a bit more personality.
Duncan

Postby bayruun » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am

I like the elegance and sophistication of WW2 surface battles, myself. I haven't looked too much into the ironclad era, though I did study it in school. I just saw it as a build-up to what I consider the height of naval gun battles. I'll skip back over the steam era to the age of sail, which I find fascinating. As with most of my historical interests, there are rather large gaps... the pre-Hellenic era, the early and middle medieval era, most of the 19th century.

As for scale, I prefer 1:2400 because it looks and feels right on a table. It's the same reason I like 6mm miniatures -- the scale suits massed warfare visually. I wouldn't dream of doing army-sized gaming with 28mm again -- towards the end of my Warhammer days, I felt it just didn't make sense. This is also the reason I don't touch my Babylon 5 Wars miniatures. They're monstrously large and unsuitable for wargaming.

If I were to do age of sail again, I'd probably go with Valiant's 1/2000. I considered, when looking at WW2 ships, choosing 1/6000. They may lack character individually, but I find they lend character to the table by "fitting in".

But that's just my two cents. I tend to prefer smaller scales and I'm (admittedly unreasonably) picky about eras.
bayruun

Postby Mike_a » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Ah you are right it was muzzle loaders, I went back and looked into the rules they sent me a bit.
I don't think I have a preference 1 way or the other about the scale.

All this talk makes me want to play a Naval Game again, maybe I will have to play in 1 at Fall-In, I don't have to paint anything then, hah!

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:00 pm

If the club were to meet on a convenient Sunday, I wonder if Bernhard might even be interested in revisiting naval warfare? He used to have a fairly decent collection of WW II Pacific vessels, although I forget the scale.
WuZhuiQiu

Postby bayruun » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 pm

I think there may be a few games showing up now and then. I'll see about running a game of Naval Thunder, and Chris has a system he uses that sounds pretty good.
bayruun

Previous

Return to Historical