Saga Samurai

Re: Saga Samurai

Postby Mike_a » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Very nice Arquebusier, good job with the Mon!

The distances are 12, 6, 4, and 2. (Long, Medium, Short and Very Short).

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Saga Samurai

Postby SergeC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 pm

I finally got my SAGA rules. I have 17 miniature painted with 8 remaining. I have a few questions that are not really clear in the rules as they are made for Vikings.
Q1. If you have range weapons like arquebus, can you attack in melee?
Q2. My Oda Samurai can be equipped with Nageyari. Is this a Javelin or only a really long melee weapon? Is it only a javelin when using "reach"
Q3. What is the advantage of having pikes. Does the defender get to attack?
Q4. On my battle board "counter attack" it reads, "gain 1 attack dice and discard all of your defense dice. gain 2 attack dice for each die discard this way." I do not understand the English. Should it not state gain attack dice and discard all of you defense dice. I have no idea why it makes reference to 1 then 2?

Serge
SergeC

Postby Mike_a » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Q1. If you have range weapons like arquebus, can you attack in melee?

Yes you can.

Q2. My Oda Samurai can be equipped with Nageyari. Is this a Javelin or only a really long melee weapon? Is it only a javelin when using "reach"

It is a really long melee weapon, essentially a Pike, it only shoots like a javelin when using the Reach ability, to give the effect of thrusting from outside the rage of other melee weapons.

Q3. What is the advantage of having pikes. Does the defender get to attack?

Pikes (Nageyari) allow units equipped with them to use the Green abilities on your battleboard (Reach, Counter-Attack and Hold Ground), only units with pikes can use these 3, they don't give any other advantages or disadvantages in Saga.

Q4. On my battle board "counter attack" it reads, "gain 1 attack dice and discard all of your defense dice. gain 2 attack dice for each die discard this way." I do not understand the English. Should it not state gain attack dice and discard all of you defense dice. I have no idea why it makes reference to 1 then 2?

When you use this ability for a you gain 1 attack dice, then you discard any extra defense dice you have accumulated so far using other abilities or by reducing your attack pool, you then gain an additional 2 attack dice for each defense dice that your have discarded. To be useful you basically need to use Hold Ground and Counter Attack at the same time. When you do this Hold Ground will give you 2 Defense dice (4 for a 6), Counter Attack will then cause you to discard these dice to gain 4+1 attack dice (8+1 if you had a 6 on Hold Ground). A unit of 8 warriors would normally get 8 attack dice in melee, so this ability could allow you to gain the maximum number of bonus dice possible for such a unit (8 as you can't have more then double the starting number of dice).

Hope this answers your questions, keep asking if not.

Thanks;
Mike

P.S. They are doing a Mid War Flames of War tournament in Petawawa on April 15th (1750 points), are you planing to go?
Mike_a

Saga Samurai

Postby SergeC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks Mike, that clarifies a lot for me.

As for Petawawa, I am not sure yet. I am thinking about it but have not talked to my wife yet. I should know either way by mid-March.

Serge
SergeC

Saga Samurai

Postby SergeC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

I finished painting my Oda Clan. I should be there on Friday :)

Serge
SergeC

Postby bayruun » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am

I had a fantastic last game. Lots of positioning and cautious advances... then fighting that certainly didn't favour my forces! I realized I needed a bold and sudden plan to win, but it relied on killing a samurai unit quickly; easier said than done!

It was hard-fought and enjoyable. Oh, and Serge's army looks great!
bayruun

Saga Samurai

Postby SergeC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:52 pm

I had a great time. Too bad I joined so late. FOW has kept me too busy. Thanks Mike for organising and all the advise. Thanks Bob for your comments on my Army. It was my first time painting plastic 28 mm. I have only painted 15 mm FOW figures. Too many to count. Now it is time to start my Napoleon Army. Can't wait for the Boxes to arrive.
SergeC

Postby Duncan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 am

I enjoyed the campaign even though I managed to make it to only one session.
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Glad you guys enjoyed it, i thought all the armies were very well painted; maybe if I ever do a campaign again there will ahve to be some kind f a painting prize or something.

Here are a few of the pictures I took:

Bonus Star Trek Picture:

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Previous

Return to Historical