Game Summit 2012 AAR

Game Summit 2012 AAR

Postby Mike_a » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:29 pm

I thought I would toss up a few photos I took during the FoW tournament and a very brief overview of the games.
I was using a US Para Company out of Hell's Highway, 82nd Airborne with Brigadier General James Gavin (pretty sure he died in all 3 games hah).

90 Parachute Rifle Company HQ
40 James Gavin
350 Parachute Rifle Platoon
350 Parachute Rifle Platoon
105 Parachute Machine-gun Platoon
280 Airborne Engineer Platoon
120 Airborne Anti-tank Platoon
165 Glider Field Artillery Battery
------

Game 1:

First game I played against Jay on a desert table, he was using a German infantry (CT infantry Veteran Support) company with some tanks and a whole lot of Panzaerwerfers, missions was Hasty Assault. I was a bit concerned about having to advance in the open against the devastating bombardment from the rockets, but I was able to advance really fast in the first turn (moved at the double 16" and Gavin made it not count as at the double), also he was unlucky with ranging in (failed to range in like 3 times) and I passed like 90% of my saves. So I was able to cross and push him off the objective in the end.

Game 2:

In the second game I defended in Breakout against Dion's German infantry (CT infantry Veteran Support). Another really good game, basic synopsis of this game is that he moved around the tanks and tried to kill my Infantry while I slowly wore them down with artillery. He also had an infantry platoon that came in from reserve as the flanking unit but they were not quite able to win against my engineers in the wood due to being trained. In the end I was able to defend the objectives so another victory.

Game 3:

In game 3 I played a really tough game against another (I think) CT German infantry force with CV supports, this time with allot of tank hunters. It was a city fight board with allot of terrain so it was really tough to get anything done. The artillery in particular had a hard time with line of sight, Duncan had suggested that I should take an AOP I was really missing that in this game. I sent a couple of platoons of infantry up through the woods on the left and into some assault with a mass of German stuff that was in the woods there by the objective but despite reducing most of the platoon there down to just a few teams I was never able to get the objective. After that both sides forces were so depleted that nobody could easily claim an objective so it ended in a draw.

Had a great time, there was something like 30 players, they had it in a different room then at skirmish which was much more comfortable.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Re: Game Summit 2012 AAR

Postby Duncan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:54 pm

That looks like a lot of fun -- I guess they didn't have to worry as much about the heat this time of year!

The scores must have been quite close if there were 30 people and only 3 rounds.

(And I think the AOP is almost a given for Allied artillery -- I am not sure if that will change with V3)
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 pm

I guess so although there was a clear winner.

I never really had 25 points to spare which was the issue. From what I've been told in version 3 it can only observe 16", and since AA has increased range, and self defense AA can now shoot it, it'll be allot less useful. I never picked up the new book yet thou so I may be misremembering that.

They had a separate hall for the big tournaments this time around so there was much more space, it was allot more enjoyable. Various people also announced that their FoW tournaments, I think in April or May (I forget) there is a MW in Petawawa, and the guy are renting a legion for a Flames of WAr tournament at a legion in July (I think it was) and some time in November.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:20 am

I got the new book at Fandom yesterday but I haven't looked at it yet.

The number of tournaments is good. I am not sure that I would want to travel too far to play FOW all day but I will certainly try and get to the ones that are in town.
Duncan

Return to Historical