WWII Lists for FOF

WWII Lists for FOF

Postby Duncan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:49 pm

US:

This is what they list for US paras (at Bastogne but it shouldn't be too much different)
Platoon Leader w/ M1 Carbine

HQ Team with:
Sergeant w/ M1 Carbine
2x Riflemen w/ M1 Garand
Radio Man w/ SCR300 & M1 Garand
1X Medic w/ M1 Carbine

Bazooka Team with
Bazooka Man w/ M1 Carbine and M9 Bazooka (Med support)
Loader w/ M1 Carbine

1st Squad:
1st Team:
Squad Leader w/ M1 Carbine
3X Rifleman w/ M1 Garand
1X Grenadier w/ M1 Garand & Rifle Grenade Launcher (Light Support)

2nd Team:
Assistant Squad Leader w/ M1 Carbine
3X Rifleman w/ M1 Garand

2nd Squad:
1st Team:
Squad Leader w/ M1 Carbine
3X Rifleman w/ M1 Garand

2nd Team:
Assistant Squad Leader w/ M1 Carbine
3X Rifleman w/ M1 Garand

MMG Team with
Machine Gunner w/ M1914A4 MG (Medium Support)
Assistant Gunner w/ M1 Carbine
Loader w/ M1 Carbine

I will post some German lists later on
Duncan

Re: WWII Lists for FOF

Postby Mike_a » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks!

It seems to be pretty different from the FoW list, there is 1 machine gun instead of 3 and no 60mm mortar, also there are no SMGs.

The miniatures I have just refer to the machine gun as 30cal machine gun, I assume it's the same gun thou?
Also off hand I don't see anyone that sells guys with rifle grenade launchers, would they look any different from a normal
rifleman?

Do the rules treat the carbine any differently then the normal rifle? If not I won't be to concerned about having the right amount of carbine
guys. But they are different in FoW so I kind of assume they would be even more different in Force on Force.

I don't have a preference for which organization we use, but it would be good to come to an agreement so I can paint stuff to match it.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 am

The US were somewhat flexible in the allocation of MGs and Mortars (and, I suspect, this force list is a bit understrength -- also if the mortars had run out of ammo they would probably use the mortar teams as infantry).

As far as I can tell the Carbine and Rifle are treated the same in Force on Force -- the only real difference between them is range and I guess that doesn't matter on normal sized FOF table.

The Grenade launcher is probably mostly un-noticeable without a grenade attached http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M7_grenade_launcher
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 am

They have AT 1 in FoW vs AT 2 for rifles, but in retrospect maybe that AT value in FoW is actually coming from the rifle grenade more so then the actual rifle.

It would be cool if thoes compaines would make some guys that have like a bag of rifle grenades or something thou (maybe thou do thou and I just don't knwo what they look like). Some of the
guys I have are equipped with BARs also which just look like a longer rifle so I will probably just ingnore that difference as well. I guess I will end up painting these guys in January.

I want to paint some more 28mm WW1 stuff as well, as I want to do a WW1 game based on the RNR actions in the battle of Cambrai. I wonder how Force on Force would work for the later
period of WW1. Might give a decent alternative to Warhammer Great War.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 pm

The cartridge of the M1 Carbine was less powerful than the M1 Rifle (and the bullet was lighter) so it could penetrate less -- it was still more powerful than a pistol or smg round. There might be an argument for giving a -1D firepower to a unit armed only with carbines (though it is hard to say that a semi-automatic carbine is less effective than a bolt-action rifle in terms of total volume of fire)

It is odd that no one has guys with grenade launchers.

Ed has a some 28mm WWI germans and a really nice set of trenches that he made for some games they played when he was still in Halifax.

I wonder what changes would need to be made for WWI -- the manuver units would be larger which would make them safer (more defense dice) which seems counter-intuitive.
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Maybe some companies do and I just haven't looked in the right spot, not that I looked very hard mind you.

The smaller units are easier to kill things is a featuer of all Force on Force cames thou (that seems a bit off), for example the 2 man sniper unit is allot easier to kill then a horde of insurgents.
Maybe you wouldn't need to change that much really, in the end it's still the same idea of a bunch of guys trying to shoot each other, maybe just make it so that everyone treats casualties the
same way as the insurgents, and create the rules for barbed wire and stuff like that and you are done right?

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:57 pm

The larger units are supposed to be harder to kill due to situational awareness and looking out for each other.

One thing we did miss with the sniper is that they can hide themselves every turn.
Duncan

Return to Historical