Waterloo Campaign 2015 - Battle Reports

Waterloo Campaign 2015 - Battle Reports

Postby nicholasswales » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Turn 1 - Chemin de Placenoit

First blood was spilled in the Waterloo Campaign last Friday when Jeff, Martin, Jean and I played out the forlorn hope of the Household and Union brigades against Lobau’s entire Corps in the Chemin de Plancenoit area.

Because the French had a more than 50% advantage in troops moving into the area, the French force consisted of a Line Division and two supports, rather than the standard one, against a British Infantry Division and one support, for which his only option was Dragoons; a reserve support. The French commander chose a Veteran Infantry support and a Light Cavalry support, both of which are organic, so the entire French force would begin the battle on the table, while the British had to roll for their reserves to enter. Adding to a grim starting proposition for the British, they then proceeded to roll to be the defender (so 2 more battalions for the French), and had to set up first.

However, through a combination of some canny tactics, some good dice rolling in early combats, the result was much closer than might have been expected. Turns out I’m a terrible miniatures photographer, too, so bear with me on the pictures…

The British were playing for a draw; their forces having been moved into the area in the hopes of blocking or slowing the French. They therefore deployed on their side of the table, essentially in a line (angling back to the edge of the table on their right when they ran out of troops!), and dared the French to attack them, which the French were only too happy to do. The French deployed in columns with a strong infantry effort on their right, and cavalry on their left, and smaller force of infantry connecting these two wings.

The prospects of the British were improved when their reserves arrived on the 4th turn of the game, and this first picture shows the situation at about that point, with the French still in march column trying to get to grips with the British as quickly as possible, and the British waiting for them.

(I apologize especially for this horribly out-of-focus picture, but it is the only area shot I took early that gives the overall picture of dispositions early in the game).

Wellington is looking relaxed, and his forces orderly and confident.

The Dragoons have arrived!

The French attempted to press home their attack on the right.

But when the British didn’t just disengage and fall back (which they did frequently), they threw back the French attacks, and even counterattacked. The French weren’t losing units, but they were losing time, and as a result, the French centre had to start getting more involved.

Meanwhile, the cavalry continued to stare at each other.

As the French centre pushed steadily in, taking the British back to their baseline, the British left suddenly collapsed, and columns of French began streaming towards the objective (represented by the French officer leading his horse on the right of this picture).

One of the units of British cavalry finally engaged the more numerous French cavalry facing it, while the other unit drove into the left flank of the French centre in a desperate attempt to stem the tide. After breaking one French unit which thought fighting cavalry in square was unsporting, this unit had shot its bolt.

But by this time, we were already rolling for end of battle, so the British still had a chance to achieve their objective, force a draw and slow the entire French advance. But once one of the last British infantry units on the table succumbed, after being surrounded by three French battalions, and with a French artillery battery in their rear…

…it was finally time to roll army morale, and the British broke. In the end, a close run things, and a good time was had by all!

I realized through this battle that I need to make a modification to my original campaign rules for battle results. Requiring losses of no more than 10% for the attacking side to achieve a decisive victory is too little. A standard base force and one attachment will have an army morale score in the mid-20s; even with 2 supports, it will only push up into the mid-30s. So 10% losses means only one small unit lost, which is too limiting, even for a force with 2 attachments. I am therefore going to change the rules to state that a side achieves a decisive victory if it breaks its opponent while losing no more than 4 army morale points.

Using this rule, the result at Chemin de Plancenoit was a French decisive victory, which certainly matches the state of things at the end of the battle. The British cavalry brigades will have to retreat, and the French forces will remain in the area, but we'll do all the retreats and advances once the results of all the battles are known. I will also calculate the casualties and update the divisions' strengths.

I also realized I need to add another option to the list of battle situations. So I have updated the first post in the Waterloo Campaign thread with these options.
nicholasswales

Re: Waterloo Campaign 2015 - Battle Reports

Postby Mike_a » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:10 am

Looks like a good game!

I never noticed that bit about losses in your rules, so we are not using the pursuit rules then I take it that is interesting. So for the send in the guards rule we would just use the same thing?

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby nicholasswales » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:09 am

Well, I never liked the pursuit rule in the rulebook to begin with. And it doesn't seem relevant to the nature of this campaign, where the end of each campaign turn (and therefore the "timing out" of battles) doesn't represent the end of the day until turn 4. It represents more the point at which events on other parts of the battlefield might start to have an effect on the particular area being fought for in that battle, so we bring the battle to an end to react to what has happened elsewhere. In those circumstances, generally-speaking pursuit cavalry wouldn't be in a position to ride down the hapless.

So, regarding the "Send in the Guards" rule, that question was answered in point 1 of my 23 May post on the main campaign site, to the effect that we will use the campaign rules for decisive victory for the purposes of the Guards rule, not the rulebook's.
nicholasswales

Postby Mike_a » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:10 am

Ya it makes allot of sense, plus it opens up the lists allot more instead of being forced to take the light cav whenever possible so that is really good.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Mike_a » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Here are the links to the 2 battle reports I have posted. Decided I should toss them in this thread as well.

Wavre:

http://michaelswargames.blogspot.ca/201 ... urn-1.html

Hougoumont:

http://michaelswargames.blogspot.ca/201 ... -1_23.html

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby nicholasswales » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Turn 2 – Chemin de Bruxelles

My second game of the campaign saw me again playing the French, this time my 6mm, against Ben’s British. This battle was an even fight of one support each. Ben had the British line infantry division with infantry support, whereas I took the French line infantry division with light cavalry support. Both the support choices were organic, so everything started on the table. I was the attacker, and Ben chose to take his preferred board edge and set up first. The table was the crossroads table, with a hill, a wood and some fields as additional terrain. The French objective (blue poker chip) was placed between the crossroads and the British baseline, near the centre of the table. Setting up first, the British sought to cover the approaches to either side of the objective. Setting up second, the French concentrated on their right.

The French began by advancing quickly across the table, light cavalry out in front, while the British waited impassively for them.

Finding themselves facing only French light cavalry, the British right flank began to redeploy towards the centre to cover the objective more closely.

At this point, Ben suffered a disastrous run of failed formation change discipline tests, which allowed French light cavalry to sweep away his artillery, as the weight of the French closed on the British left flank.

In spite of counterattacking valiantly on their extreme left, British units in the centre gave way, opening a hole in the British lines and allowing first French cavalry and later infantry to converge on the objectives, in the rear of the British left.

(That’s French cavalry lined up with British infantry protecting its flanks!)

The British fought on, passing several break tests (where were those die rolls earlier, when some discipline tests needed to be passed!?), but couldn’t keep it up forever and eventually broke.
A tough game for the British, who didn’t get much luck. Thanks to Ben for getting the 6s out on the table!
nicholasswales

Postby Mike_a » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Mike_a

Postby SergeC » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:29 am

Turn 4 Battle report of Mont Saint-Jean.

http://sergesminiatures.blogspot.ca/201 ... erloo.html

This was a great campaign. Thanks Nick for organizing.
SergeC

Return to Historical