Suitable Pickup Games

Suitable Pickup Games

Postby PatG » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:29 am

What makes a game suitable for pickup play? Here's a few factors I can think of:

• Easy, straight forward rules
  • or Popular therefore most know how to play
  • Small number of figures or materials - easy to transport, won't take up much play space.
  • Ability to provide materials for 2 armies or popular so easy to find opponents
  • Likely of general interest or having an good hook e.g. WWII or the Siberian Intervention (more popular than I realized)
  • Your thoughts?

DBA is an easy choice. Small size, easy rules, standard basing makes getting armies together straight forward.

Other than that - All I can think of are the old micro-games - which being board games are out of scope.

Thoughts?
PatG

Re: Suitable Pickup Games

Postby coyote » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:54 pm

I think pickup games are going to be difficult. I remember trying for pickup games of GW games at the GW store and wasting an evening. At OMG, forget about it. Arranged games it the way to go.

However, Warmaster Ancients might work. Don't need x-million army books, point based, easy to transport.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
coyote
Site Admin

Postby TodCreasey » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:21 am

coyote wrote:I think pickup games are going to be difficult. I remember trying for pickup games of GW games at the GW store and wasting an evening. At OMG, forget about it. Arranged games it the way to go.

However, Warmaster Ancients might work. Don't need x-million army books, point based, easy to transport.

I dunno about that - something with points that you have already kicking around is fine if you have it pre boxed up. I usually have a scenario ready to go I want to try out so with a bit of planning I can be ready wheneever.

Off the top of my head FOW, Lasalle and DBMM/DBM/FOG are all pretty easy for that. I intend to keep an extra game in the car for weekends where I am not the GM for just that purpose.

Tod
TodCreasey

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:41 pm

I suppose that skirmishes of some kind might be another option, especially when they do not require too much terrain - might gladiatorial games fit the bill?
WuZhuiQiu

Postby PatG » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:09 pm

I was thinking of AH Gladiator as a possibility, one of many things I regret disposing of over the years. Other skirmish level games may be appropriate too. Which is what you said - my apologies for the content free post.
PatG

Return to General Discussion