6mm/28mm in 15mm games

6mm/28mm in 15mm games

Postby TodCreasey » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Just thought I would continue the debate here.

Brian has pointed out that there are decent rulesets already for 6mm. I pointed out that many 15mm 1-1 rulesets are at a 6mm scale already such as IABSM (1/250) and FOW(about 1/400).

The main thing for me is that in 6mm infantry heavy games really don't look very good. The scale is perfect and that feels right but there are too many dispersed little dots to do it for. So you can do it and I have on numerous occasions but it doesn't wow me like other games.

To whit my current plan is to paint up more 28s and dump the 6s. I would have considered 15mm for larger games but as I don't collect that scale of terrain and WWII is very terrain heavy I thought it better to focus on 28s.

Opinions?
TodCreasey

Re: 6mm/28mm in 15mm games

Postby Duncan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:25 pm

I think that for WWII games the ground scale and figure scale are going to be different for anything except skirmsish games so I don't think the figure scale is too critical for most rulesets so it comes down to what looks good (i.e. does it annoy you more that medium range for a tank is less than the the length of a tank (54mm) or that you can't tell what type of infantry stand something is without picking it up and squinting at it (2mm)).

For me 15mm is the best compromise but I like the look of bigger figures and I have seen some really nice terrain done for 6mm games -- and I have had fun playing games in all scales (which is really the key).
Duncan

Return to General Discussion