D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Talk about upcoming games, campaigns, houserules, new releases, etc.

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Turn three results: 6 Allied victories and 2 German victories.

Battle 1 is an Allied attack, D-1 to D-3, Allied player is Serge, Axis player is Vince. Allied 6-1 victory. German Firestorm troop destroyed and sent to reserves.
Battle 2 is an Allied attack, D-1 to D-2, The Generals rolled for this game. Allied victory
Battle 3 is an Allied attack, B-1 to C-1, Allied Player is Mike, Axis player is Jeff. Allied 5-2 victory. No Firestorm troops destroyed.
Battle 4 is an Allied attack, A-2 to B-2, Allied John, Axis player is Stephan. German 6-1 victory. Allied Firestorm troop destroyed. (3 Can Div) Sent to reserves.
Battle 5 is an Allied attack, A-3 to B-3, Allied player is Stan, Axis player is Tod. Allied 6-1 victory. No Firestorm troops destroyed.
Battle 6 is an Allied attack, A-4 to B-4, Allied player is Duncan, Axis player is Brian. Allied 6-1 victory. German Firestorm troop destroyed. (101 German) sent to reserves.
Battle 7 is an Allied attack, B-5 to C-6, Allied player is Francis, Axis player is Bernard. German 6-1 victory. No Firestorm troops destroyed.
Battle 8 is an Allied attack, B-5 to B-6, The Generals rolled for this game. Allied victory

At the end of turn three the Axis player has to remove Panzer Lehr, 2 SS Panzerdivision, and 2 Panzerdivision.

Caen Turn three battle results (f).jpg
Caen Turn three battle results (f).jpg (235.39 KiB) Viewed 972 times

Axis has 290 victory points and Allies have 240 points after 3 turns. If the Campaign ended now it would be a draw. See campaign outcome on page 12 of PDF.
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:26 pm

The next stage is the set-up for turn 4. Mike rolled for the amount of battles. He rolled a 5, so we will play eight battles. Next both Generals rolled for the initiative of the eight battles. Mike rolled for the Allies and Tod for the Axis. The Allies are still doing great planning because they won all the initiatives. So the Allies will be doing 8 attacks.

All is not lost but the Axis must win more games if they do not want to loss the campaign. Right now the Axis control 40 more VP then the Allies.

Turn 4 is Operation Charnwood. Historically it occurred on 8-9 July 1944.
Caen template Turn three after placement of reinforcements and strategic redeployments (f).jpg
Caen template Turn three after placement of reinforcements and strategic redeployments (f).jpg (243.43 KiB) Viewed 972 times
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 pm

These are the turn four Battles as decided by your generals.
Caen template Turn 4 Attacks (f).jpg
Caen template Turn 4 Attacks (f).jpg (244.8 KiB) Viewed 972 times

It should be noted that in Turn 4 the Allies get a carpet bombing at the beginning of one of the Games. The Allied General has chosen Battle 1 for the carpet bombing. This is the same rule that was used at the beginning of the D-Day battle. Page 26 of the Normandy battles book.

In summary these are the battles
Battle 1 is an Allied attack, D-3 to D-6, Allied Firestrom: 11 Amd Div and 33 Amd Brigade, Axis Firestorm: SS 101 and 8 Werfer Bde. River crossing in Plains. Allied get carpet bombing
Battle 2 is an Allied attack, D-2 to D-4, Allied Firestrom: 8 Amd Brigade and 53 Infantry Div, Axis Firestorm: 21 Beute Stug and SS 102. River crossing in Plains.
Battle 3 is an Allied attack, C-1 to C-2, Allied Firestrom: 50 Inf Div and 15 Inf Div, Axis Firestorm: One German Defence troop. Plains.
Battle 4 is an Allied attack, A-2 to B-2, Allied Firestrom: 3 AGRA and Air Support, Axis Firestorm: 9 SS and one German Defence troop. These troops are out of supply. The consequence of out of supply can be found on page 8 of Caen PDF. Bocage
Battle 5 is an Allied attack, B-3 to C-3, Allied Firestrom: 6 Para and 5 AGRA, Axis Firestorm: 10 SS and one German Defence troop. Plains.
Battle 6 is an Allied attack, B-4 to C-4, Allied Firestrom: 3 Inf Div and 8 AGRA, Axis Firestorm: 12 SS and III Flak. City
Battle 7 is an Allied attack, B-5 to C-6, Allied Firestrom: 31 tk bde Churchill and 4 Armd Bde, Axis Firestorm: 1 SS and one German Defence troop. Plains
Battle 8 is an Allied attack, B-6 to C-7, Allied Firestrom: 7 Amd Div and 2 Can Amd Bde, Axis Firestorm: 7 Werfer Bde and One German Defence troop. Pains

Let your Generals know which battles you want
Last edited by SergeC on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
SergeC

Re: D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby Mike_a » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:54 am

Heres a few of the pictures I took of the games, wasn't paying to much attention to who was where so don't have any reports to give.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Match-ups for turn 4

Battle (Allied vs Axis)
1 - Serge vs Bernard (Serge provide terrain)
2 - Stan vs Peter (Peter provide terrain)
3 - John vs Lev (John provide terrain)
4 - Generals will roll for game.
5 - Mike vs Stephan (Mike provide terrain)
6 - Bad Duncan vs Jeff (Jeff provide terrain?)
7 - Good Duncan vs Vince (Duncan provide terrain)
8 - Generals will roll for game.
Last edited by SergeC on Thu May 08, 2014 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
SergeC

Postby Mike_a » Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 am

Picture from Turn 4:

Game 5:

Had a great game for turn 5, I was playing a US Para list, against Stephan with a mechanized German infantry list. We ended up playing dust up, which is the mission that has you in diagonally opposite corners, and the reserves come in close to the enemy area instead of in your zone. It's a pretty interesting missions actually.

I deployed some artillery, a platoon of infantry, and anti-tank guns to defend my objectives, the germans started with Pak43, artillery, and infantry.

I brought on a platoon of light tanks as my first reserve and tried to threaten an objective early. This turned out to be a huge mistake, as I exposed them to allot more fire power then I realized and they died early. In retrospect it may have been better to attack weakly or not at all in order to encourage that enemy to attack my strong defenses.

I continued to press the objective, but a unit of StugGs came up which I now had a very hard time dealing with, so both sides became trapped in a bit of a meat grinder. My platoons where reduced in strength and I eventually lost 1 to a mounted assault by an infantry platoon.

The remains of my anti-tank guns were able to prevent that unit from taking my objective but I also lost that platoon.

I had moved my oncoming infantry platoon into the small woods near the objective I placed and they were eventually assaulted by an infantry platoon, and the remaining Stugs, however the 1 remaining team failed it's morale roll. This reduced both our companies to rolling for company morale, which I had to test for first. I passed the first time but not the second, so ended up with a 3-4 loss.

And here are a few random pictures of the other games:

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 pm

These are the results of Turn 4 with a map that shows the end state prior to reinforcements and strategic deployment.

Battle 1 is an Allied attack, D-3 to D-6, Allied Victory
Battle 2 is an Allied attack, D-2 to D-4, Allied Victory
Battle 3 is an Allied attack, C-1 to C-2, Allied Victory
Battle 4 is an Allied attack, A-2 to B-2, Allied Victory
Battle 5 is an Allied attack, B-3 to C-3, Axis Victory
Battle 6 is an Allied attack, B-4 to C-4, Axis Victory
Battle 7 is an Allied attack, B-5 to C-6, Axis Victory
Battle 8 is an Allied attack, B-6 to C-7, Allied Victory

Caen Turn 4 Results (f).jpg
Caen Turn 4 Results (f).jpg (200.37 KiB) Viewed 899 times
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed May 07, 2014 6:46 pm

These are the turn 5 battles. Mike rolled 8 attacks again and won all initiatives again.

Battle 1 is an Allied attack, D-6 to D-5, Allied Firestrom: 11 Amd Div and 33 Amd Brigade, Axis Firestorm: SS 102 and One German Defence troop. Plains.
Battle 2 is an Allied attack, D-4 to C-5, Allied Firestrom: 8 AGRA and 53 Infantry Div, Axis Firestorm: 21 Beute Stug and 9 Werfer Bde. River crossing in City.
Battle 3 is an Allied attack, C-2 to C-3, Allied Firestrom: 5 AGRA and 34 Tank Bde Churchill, Axis Firestorm: 10 SS and 8 Werfer Bde. Plains.
Battle 4 is an Allied attack, B-3 to C-3, Allied Firestrom: 6 Para and 3 AGRA, Axis Firestorm: 10 SS and 8 Werfer Bde. Plains.
Battle 5 is an Allied attack, B-4 to C-4, Allied Firestrom: 3 Can Inf Div and 9 AGRA, Axis Firestorm: 12 SS and III Flak. City.
Battle 6 is an Allied attack, B-5 to C-6, Allied Firestrom: 31 Tank Bde Churchill and 4 Armd Bde, Axis Firestorm: 1 SS and 7 Werfer Bde. Plains
Battle 7 is an Allied attack, B-5 to C-6, Allied Firestrom: 2 Can Armd Bde and 27 Armd Bde, Axis Firestorm: 1 SS and 7 Werfer Bde. Plains
Battle 8 is an Allied attack, C-7 to D-7, Allied Firestrom: Guards Armd Div and 7 Armd Div, Axis Firestorm: 503 APA and SS 101. Plains. Allied get carpet bombing

Caen Turn 5 Battles (f).jpg
Caen Turn 5 Battles (f).jpg (224.9 KiB) Viewed 899 times
SergeC

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Wed May 07, 2014 6:57 pm

SergeC wrote:These are the turn 5 battles. Mike rolled 8 attacks again and won all initiatives again.

Battle 3 is an Allied attack, C-2 to C-3, Allied Firestrom: 5 AGRA and 34 Tank Bde Churchill, Axis Firestorm: 10 SS and 8 Werfer Bde. Plains.
Battle 4 is an Allied attack, B-3 to C-3, Allied Firestrom: 6 Para and 3 AGRA, Axis Firestorm: 10 SS and 8 Werfer Bde. Plains.
Battle 6 is an Allied attack, B-5 to C-6, Allied Firestrom: 31 Tank Bde Churchill and 4 Armd Bde, Axis Firestorm: 1 SS and 7 Werfer Bde. Plains
Battle 7 is an Allied attack, B-5 to C-6, Allied Firestrom: 2 Can Armd Bde and 27 Armd Bde, Axis Firestorm: 1 SS and 7 Werfer Bde. Plains

Errm, can you actually have more than two attacks into the same zone? I don't think that that used to be allowed in other firestorm campaigns.
WuZhuiQiu

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Thu May 08, 2014 12:08 pm

When I went through the tutorials on how to run the game, (You can find them in the FOW site) it gave the impression that you could have more then one battle per region. Do not forget that we are playing one company worth of troops in what was a Divisional area. Also, the time frame is about two weeks worth of battles.

The way I set up the matches, I am actually giving an advantage to the Axis, as they would not be allowed to use the firestorm troops in both battles.

If we are only 12 players, (this is the usual about) then I will drop the two additional battles.

The other option I was toying with is to give two attacks to the Axis, since they have not been able to win one initiative roll since the second turn.

The idea is to have fun and right now the Allies have 210 points, so they are in the Strategic victory territory.
SergeC

PreviousNext

Return to Flames of War