D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Talk about upcoming games, campaigns, houserules, new releases, etc.

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 pm

For all you German players:

As mentioned before, for the first turn of the campaign the German players that are playing beach landings will be using the Fortified Company on page 26 of Atlantik wall. (Sword Beach) You will notice that this limits your options a little. You force size is 1000 points and you must take the headquarters, at least 200 points of Normandy Minefields, at least 20 points of Normandy barbed wire entanglements and the sword wiederstandnest platoon. You should be taking two platoons as at least half your force is in reserve. Hence if you only take the Wiederstandnest platoon it would not be on the board at the start of the game. The minefields lowest element is 200 points, the barb wire lowest cost element is 20 points, the headquarters is 35 points, at least a 3.7 PaK 36 Nest at 65 points, a 5 cm KwK nest for 70 points and at least 3 HMG Tobruk Nests for 120 points. This is a total of 510 out of 1000 points. You can use easy army for $2.13 at

http://www.easyarmy.com

The sword wiederstandnest is located on page 29 of Atlantik Wall.

All the fortified Pl will be within a diameter of 32 inches and not closer then 8 inches from the side. This is only for the fortifications and trenches. Obstacles can be placed anywhere in the hinterland. It should be noted that you will be subjected to a preliminary bombardment. Hits on 4+ and saves on 3+. So you might lose a third of your force. Generally you will have minimum 4 minefields and 10 barb wires with 4 nests and one bunker. Your reserves only arrive on a 6 vice the normal 5+. As you are a fortified platoon you are not allowed to start the game with Armour. It must be in reserve. You should read the rules on bunkers and obstacles. Pill boxes are very hard to kill. You start the game pin down.

Well I think that is all the advise I have.
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Inventory of Fortifications, obstacles and stuff. I have

7 Bunkers
12 barb wire
6 minefields
5 Tobruk HMG nests
3 Tobruk mortar nests
5 HMG nests
1 anti tank obstacle
4 landing crafts
6 trench lines
1 Gun Nest
1 beach table with three segments.
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Friendly battle update. I tried out a beach landing to see how the rules are playing out. Here is the report

This is the German rear area
German rear area.jpg
German rear area.jpg (155.37 KiB) Viewed 779 times

This is the German defensive area
Germain defensive zone left side.jpg
Germain defensive zone left side.jpg (180.2 KiB) Viewed 779 times

Germain defensive zone right side.jpg
Germain defensive zone right side.jpg (182.96 KiB) Viewed 779 times

Place objective prior to placing fortifications. (page 29 of Normandy battles) this is different then the Fortification rules on page 262 of rule book. Not that allies must capture both objectives. Good luck
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Preliminary bombardment. This starts the game. I was playing the British and my brother Stephan was playing the Germans. My preliminary bombardment took out two tanks and one Tobruk Mortar nest. Notice that this is an error as the Fortified companies are not allowed to deploy any fully armoured platoons on the table. (page 269)

The first thing the allies must do is roll for direction of current (page 21 of Normandy battles) 1-3 current runs leftwards. The allies then place half their force in floating reserve. The remainder are placed in landing craft. One platoon per.
You then roll for how far from where you wanted to land. (Drift) 1 is 4 inches, 2 is 8 inches, 3 is 12 inches, 4 is 16 inches. on a 5 and 6 the landing craft fails to land. If you place your landing craft on the left and the current is going left and you roll a high number then your landing craft does not land. Note that DD tanks have separate rules.

Turn one I had three platoons: Two made it and one failed to land
Allies land with two companies.jpg
Allies land with two companies.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 779 times

You notice that three of my vehicles bogged down. The entire beach is difficult going and the sea wall is impassible tank obstacle. Only way off the beach is the two access points. As most vehicles are only trained it will take a skill test of 4+ to un- bog.
As the Germans did not have line of sight of the beach there is no further damage.

Once the landing crafts have landed their platoons the must roll a 4+ to leave the beach, otherwise the are stuck on the beach for one turn.

Second turn see the landing of most of the force. Still missing one tank platoon that fails to land.
Second turn allies.jpg
Second turn allies.jpg (187.09 KiB) Viewed 779 times

Still have three vehicles bogged down but my force is moving towards the access point. Not that the tank force is not well represented. There are actually two mine flail Sherman and the Churchill are petard Churchill. These can only hit at 4 inches but do great work against bunkers
Last edited by SergeC on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SergeC

D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Turn three see the first real action. Again if the Germans had line of sight of the beach this would have been different.
end of third turn.jpg
end of third turn.jpg (193.08 KiB) Viewed 779 times

end of third turn left flank.jpg
end of third turn left flank.jpg (243.58 KiB) Viewed 779 times

Turn Four is the most successful for the Germans
end of fourth turn.jpg
end of fourth turn.jpg (175.37 KiB) Viewed 779 times

The Germans destroy most of the tanks and Priest Guns
SergeC

Re: D-Day Campaign (Caen)

Postby SergeC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 pm

end of fourth turn left flank.jpg
end of fourth turn left flank.jpg (205.12 KiB) Viewed 779 times

But the allies have landed a Churchill force on the left flank. The pillbox fails to destroy this force.

Turn five is pretty well the end as the allies take out the pillbox and the remaining tank. As the Allies have a lot of armoured left it is only a matter of time to take both objectives.
end of fifth turn.jpg
end of fifth turn.jpg (228.54 KiB) Viewed 779 times

end of fifth turn left flank.jpg
end of fifth turn left flank.jpg (223.12 KiB) Viewed 779 times

The allies win.

Note that the Germans did not have any mines. We read the force composition a little late.
SergeC

Postby Mike_a » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:57 am

Looks great, seems like a fun scenario. Hopefully the Germans don't learn to much from this hah.

I tried to by the beach from the BF guys at Fall-In but they told me they are completely sold out, they are planning to make more however.

Thanks;
Mike
Mike_a

Postby Duncan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 am

That looks really good. And the walkthrough of the scenario is useful too.

My beach board is nearly ready to be painted and flocked. I just have to figure out what I want to do for the seawall.
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:37 am

Can someone tell me what the "recommended" distance between the edge of the beach and the seawall is? I have lent my book out and had written the dimensions down somewhere and now can't find it!

Thanks.
Duncan

Postby Mike_a » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Mike_a

PreviousNext

Return to Flames of War