750 Point Early War Tourney

Talk about upcoming games, campaigns, houserules, new releases, etc.

750 Point Early War Tourney

Postby Duncan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 am

This was a really fun night. We had 3 Allied players (1 French, 1 Polish, 1 British) and 3 Axis Players (all German) so we made all 3 games allies vs axis which is always nice. I don't remember the scores, perhaps someone else could post those.

I took a Compagnie de Combat with a Char B-1 bis Command tank and a Battle Tank Platoon with 3 Char B-1 bis (not a balanced list in any sense!)

My first game was Free-For-All against Tod who had infantry supported by Panzer IIIs. We made a number of mistakes -- first we thought it would be easier to play from the short edge rather than the long edge (becuase of the way the mat was on the table) which meant the objectives were closer together (and thus easier for me to defend) then we forgot that independent teams cannot contest objectives but also forgot that the independent team (my company commander in particular) could join a platoon if it is in command range at which point it counts as part of the platoon and can contest the objective. I won this 6-1 but I think if we were playing on the long edge, I would not have been able to defend both objectives and Tods mortars firing smoke would have prevented me from killing much before he took an objective.

Another mistake I made in all my games was thinking that the "One Man Turret" rule prevents me from firing the turret MG when I move, it doesn't -- it only prevents firing the main gun.

My second game was breakthrough against Jeff who had Infantry supported by Panzer IIs. I was the attacker and started with only my command on the table. I got a bit impatient waiting for my reserves and assaulted Jeffs AT guns and my HQ was destroyed (the only tank I lost all night). My reserves eventually arrived and started to grind the Germans underfoot. Assualts by the german infantry came close to driving the tanks of the table (they can't hurt them in assualt but because I was close to the table edge I could be forced to retreat off board) but eventually I won.

My third game was Fighting Withdrawl against Ryan who had an all infantry force. This table had the most terrain which was not good for me. My tanks moved slowly forward and managed to take out his 15cm infantry guns fairly quickly and his AT guns managed to bail several tanks (including the commanders which prevented me from moving). One turn 7 the Germans failed company morale -- if they had made that roll and again on turn 8 they would have won.

I think that there probably should have been more terrain on tables 1 and 2 (although it is hard to judge given the oddness of my list)

I am now thinking about painting a "serious" 750 point French list for Cangames!!

Here are some pictures:
My first game against Tod

Brian's rather unfortunate rolls for Matilda armour saves!
Duncan

Return to Flames of War