The Recapture of Bardia

Talk about upcoming games, campaigns, houserules, new releases, etc.

The Recapture of Bardia

Postby Duncan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Bardia was attacked a second time this round this time I used a German Schutzen Company with a Panzer IV firestorm. My force consisted of HQ + 2 Full Size Schutzen platoons, a 6 tube mortar platoon, a 75mm infantry gun, an armoured car platoon, and 5 PZIII E (as well as the Firestorm). Duncan took a Rifle Company with no Armour (it had a 4 gun Artilley battery, a 4 gun Bofors battery, a 4 gun portee 2lber, a carrier platoon and infantry -- I may have missed something there).

We rolled that we were playing the big push and the British out of supply roll was that the morale was reduced by 1.

We were short of drop cloths so we were using this one -- we ignored the terrain on the mat. Duncan set his fortifications a bit further back than either Tod or Brian and this made them much more effective.

I kept my infantry in their trucks and concentrated my armour on the left side -- my preliminary bombardment wasn't terribly effective on anyone other than the 25lber battery (which was reduced to 1 gun and the staff) but with the reduced British Morale the pinning effect of the preliminary bombardment was very effective.

The tanks moved up taking out the wire -- one of the Panzer IIIs bogged and remained bogged for the rest of the game. I forgot that the bunker MGs had a range of 24" and not 16" and moved the soft vehicles up to far (I made this very same mistake on almost every turn of this game!!)

The tanks moved through the second line of wire (we left the wire on the table with "Gone to Ground" markers to represent the rough ground left behind (I need to make some rough ground pieces!)

When the Panzer IIIs fired their MGs at the dug in Bofors they got 8 hits and an amazing 6 succesful firepower checks (they needed a 6)

The infantry assualt on the smoked Bunker was a complete failure

The next turn the PZ IIIs assaulted the trench line and wiped out the infantry platoon forcing the British to double time to contest the objective.

The 2lber portees failed their "Tip and Run" roll and were caught in the open by the Panzer IIIs who wiped them out. The reinforcing infantry (barely) survived the PZ IVs firing at them with double ROF but were wiped out by a PZIII assault on the following turn. At that point the British failed company morale because the company commander had been eliminated.

This was a really good game -- If I had known that bunkers couldn't be smoked, I probably would have ditched the mortars and taken a third infantry platoon
Duncan

Return to Flames of War